Some advice please

Claws

Hi All

Newbie here.

Just wanted to pick your brains on a few things.

Had my Jag 'S' type 200 sport 03 for about a month or so, just a couple of things bothering me.

I had a budget in mind for some work to be done as i was walking around the car initially (blew the budget!) new tyres / discs / pads upfront, new windscreen wiper motor / blades / arm / linkage, coded spare key / going to change the slatted grill to mesh / and install mesh to lower air intake as well / wheel badges / valve adapter and valve covers (BBS split indianapolis alloys 18")

Here's the little niggling things

Wheels - I pumped the rear one up Saturday the tyre says 51 psi ! is that right? i put in just under 40

Temperature gage - when up to temp after a few minutes or after / during driving, it sits rock solid at midway point am i just really lucky or can this be 'Fiddled' somehow

CD - not taking disc, is it Knackered?

Jag bluetooth (for phone) - the car has a parrot system installed, do i presume the car was not fitted with the Jag one, or is the parrot sytem better?

Rattleing / light clanging - from front passenger side (engine bay) intermittent, does not coincide with revving engine, could this be pulley bearings / or similar?

apologies for chucking all these at you in my first post

Steve

Welcome to the forum :)

On my 245/40/18 wheels, the psi is supposed to be 30 all round, it would never be 51, perhaps this is a max figure or something, sounds dodgy!

Most modern cars have heavily damped temp gauges so are supposed to sit in the middle, this is fine but if it goes above centre, something is wrong.

Have a look in the engine bay to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from, this would be a start. If you can't see / hear anything and it only happens when it's moving, it's more likely to be suspension ;)

Tyre Pressures: According to the manual of my S Type Sport Diesel with 245/40ZR18s fitted, should be at 35psi all round.

Bluetooth: No bluetooth on mine although the buttons are on the steering wheel, after market Nokia fitted instead.

CD: I take it there isn't already a CD in the machine? :blink:

Welcome to the club, Steve.

Russ is quite correct.

My S type 2.7D  [07 plate] - heavier car than the Petrol versions - has 31 psi all round, and if you want to drive at over 100 mph you should increase  the tyre pressure t0 about 38 all round. My tyres are also the same as Russ has.

Also, following what Russ has said, my temperature gauge also sits right in the middle.

Regards,

Peter.

I've doubled checked my handbook and for my 2001 model with 245/40/18 it says:

26/28 - Max comfort

32/34 - Normal

But I've seen 30 all round recommended elsewhere, which is what I've been running with and it seems fine, definitely not the 51 psi mentioned previously...

51psi is the maximum pressure as tested by the factory.

Some truck tyres are tested to 200psi !!!

CD player could be bust, if you haven't got satnav you can replace it with a "normal" radio or if you want originality there's loads on eBay.

My temp goes to the middle and no further.

Rattling could be a heat shield or similar.

Parrot system is the one to go for if standard bluetooth isn't fitted so result!!

• Like 1

Hi Steve and welcome to THE Jaguar OWNERS CLUB. I cannot give advice as such to the S Type due to the fact I own a XKR however, deflate those tyres before they blow on you that's far to high. I just done a google search which came back with 32psi therefore the lads have given you good advice above. As for the temperature gauge my 4.2ltr V8 gets up to half way within 2 miles and sits there for another 200 miles, very constant. Stick with the parrot, best hands free on the market. Looks like you need to get someone to look at your CD changer

Thanks Guys For all your help and advice, much appreciated, and please forgive my lack of Tech knowledge, the last time I worked on cars, they had Distributor caps & Rotor arms!

Just to reply to some comments,

I will drop pressure in tyre! I only use the car every weekend (Caravan and back) so will tinker with her then, and also try to identify exactly were the noise is coming from, I have heard something similar before, almost sounds like ‘Pinking’ clearly not of course, as she is ticking over fine, at about 650 – 680 RPM. I have tried to listen for the sound whilst driving, I’m pretty sure I have heard it once or twice, through the open window, again as I said previously, it’s intermittent, and can be several seconds before you hear it
again, and the noise is different at times (meaning it’s not playing the same tune over and over, if that makes sense?) if I knew how to record it and put it on this forum, I would. Oh and just for info she has Just broken 85K, with a FSH

No Cd disc in player, display on screen seems correct, as I mentioned before, but won’t take disc, I had to use a pair of my missus tweezers, with a bit of blue-tac to get the disc out I pushed in, kept pushing waiting for it to take it, but never did! I may see If I can get a CD changer in the boot, instead of the single one inside, presumably not a Major job?

Don’t have Sat Nav (Have the two screen gismo) was going to get one from a spares / repair job, but Jag technician, said Don't ! major job New looms etc.

The last owner (I presume) removed the ashtray / lighter from behind the lid that shuts it away, and put the parrot LCD unit in there, to hide it from view I guess, I want to move it to another place, and try and find another ashtray / lighter (which I guess could be difficult considering her age?) so will take advice and stick with the Parrot system, although I think it will need a
software update.

Once again many thanks for advice

Steve

Hi All

Further to my request for advice. I have identified the source of the rattling etc, it is the Aircon pump (extreme bottom right pulley) it does not seem to be spinning, just jerks about an inch or less and it sounds like the belt is sanding itself as it spins! Also noticed the cooling fan does not seem to kick in, I tried to spin it by hand but it,s not moving. How concerned should I be? I have got it on video but the file is to big to load I'm afraid

I wouldn't drive or use it until both problems are fixed.

Aircon pump, sound to me the clutch has seized. Only fix is to replace and regas, has the aircon ever worked??

Rad fan, Just checked mine, it doesn't spin by hand.

The air con problem is definitely a seized compressor Steve. Switch the air-con off and just rely on ambient air temperature until you get it replaced or else you are putting an unacceptable load on other components.

Not sure about the cooling fan. Maybe you haven't got the engine warm enough yet ;) The fan also runs to assist the air-con when forward speed is low but bearing in mind your other problem I'd advise against trying that test.

Update!

Once again guys thanks for advice,

Andy, didn't drive it as you suggested got a local garage to come and collect it (low loader) apart from the bloke driving it into the steel posts that protect the back of the drivers cab!! (Crunch...Damage to front bumper, not horrendous thankfully, just waiting to get damage sorted)

Anyway £700 later new AC compressor fitted, and did the belt at same time. Mechanic confirmed bearings had gone, now I can hear her in all of her glory, as Kevin Keegan once said Love it, Just Love it!!