Struggling with a few bits! 4.2 V8

Matt9711

I have recently bought a lovely 53 plate 4.2 V8 S-Type. Only 89K on the clock and has been owned for the last 12 years by a friend who due to kids cant and doesn't use it anymore and it has been sat for a year.

The car was used by Jaguar for the first year, then sold to my mate. Its Black with Black leather, Jaguar Voice, Sat Nav, Climate, etc. I have refurbished the wheels, mopped the car, changed plugs, Oil & filter, fuel filter, ATF and filter, I have the headlights to resolve bit foggy (but have the 3M kit).

The issues I need help with if you would be so kind is.

1. The car originally had the phone module but this was removed due to a conflict with Jaguar voice. I would like to re-instate this. I have ordered one but its not the right one, my VIN number ends in HM99114 I have the 6 cd changer, sat nav bracket and a space above with four bolts which I assume is where this goes?
  2. The 6 CD Changer will not eject the cartridge, do I remove and try to get it out or just replace?
  3. The single slot CD will not accept a disc again, remove or replace?
  4.  I am replacing the heater valve as the Aircon blows Sahara hot all day, I guess that its likely the CCU will need doing as well?
  5. I would like to put a stainless system on the car and appreciate the growl a little more (note "a little") ideas?
  6. I am replacing the steering wheel with the wooden/leather one, how does the old one come off?
  7. Up to date sat nav disc?

Ideas and suggestions are welcome, I've done a lot but I'm hitting a wall with these items.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Hi Matt, welcome to the JoC :)

The CDC has a habit of jamming. If you slide the door open and look closely at the edge of the cartridge you will probably see a disc which is half in and half out.

If you repeatedly press the eject button while gently tapping the cartridge with the handle of a screwdriver, the shock should be sufficient to retract the disc fully and the cartridge will then eject.

If this fails then removal of the CDC and opening it up is required. Not difficult but fiddly and time consuming.

Your phone module may well be fitted behind the CD / Nav stack on the Kaiser panel. In which case the top position of the stack would be where your premium audio amplifier would go. To gain access, the stack needs to be unbolted and dragged out as far as it will go. The Kaiser panel is then obvious and just requires the removal of four bolts, when it will pull towards you revealing the location of the phone module.

I suspect there may be a CD jammed inside your single CD player as well. Never had that problem but the same light shocking action might release it.

Latest sat nav DVD is 2011 / 2012 if you have the Denso DVD system which I think you will have.

Hope that assists with at least some of your concerns :)

As above.

Steering wheel removal, make sure you have your radio code.

Disconnect the battery then go have a brew/lunch for at least 1/2 an hour till the system powers down.

There should be two bolts in the back of the wheel holding the airbag on, more then likely torx head screws, undo them and gently pull the bag forward to reveal the wiring plugs, disconnect and lift out.

Unplug any other plugs.

Undo the large nut in the centre then REPLACE a few turns.

Either grip the wheel and pull like Billy o till it comes off or forcefully hit it with the palms of your hands until it releases it limpet like grip and you'll also see why it's important to replace the nut!! Trust me, it hurts!!!

Replacement is opposite of above.

Tip, before removal draw a line on the threaded column stub as a reference point to help line up the new wheel.

hi

the phone and voice modules are behind the cd multichager

if you remove  the nav, cd changer and amp as a unit with the 4 bolts at the bottom, unplug it

there fibre optic cables and there 2 plugs on the amp, 4 on the nav unit and one on the cd changer and the fibre optic loops to each one

then once thats out of the way, theres another black metal panel, the voice and phone modules are bolted to the back of that.

if your going to fit bluetooth at a later date you need phone module 2W93-19K350 Or newer early ones 1X43-10D893 wont work with bluetooth, handset only

as for exhaust, I fitted a ADAMESH one's, just the back boxes, there £399, nice quality

and they sound absolutly Purrrrrrrfect, not too loud, with a lovely burble, if you look on the adamesh site there a video with sound

http://www.adamesh.co.uk/performance-parts-184-c.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4UJU5qHXw

and they fit straight on

cheers

joe

• 2 weeks later...

OK so i've pulled out the kaiser panel and there is only Jaguar Voice on it! 

So i would like to be able to install a phone module that will connnect to my iPhone 6 via bluetooth.

What do i need Phone modules have AD and AC suffixes to the part number above, do i need just the module or a bt kit as well.

Thanks for the help!

hi

you need the phone module, bluetooth module and fibre optic loop.

phone module 2W93-19K350-AA , 2W93-19K350- AD , the last letter is software revision so higher letter the better

bluetooth module 3W83-14B409-AD , the last letter D the higher the better as will be lastest software and supports more phone's

and lastly you need a fibre optic cable

I have 3W83-14B409-AD and it works with my new sony xperia z4 fine

also you need check your plug have 8 wires in it, in the armrest for the bluetooth to work, my car had the 8 wires, its a 2004 STR, but did not work

I had to swap some of the wires about to get the bluetooth to work, but this is quite easy and i can supply you with instructions if required

if your car it 2005 plus then there just plug and play

the phone and bluetooth are plug and play if wired correct, you just reconnect your battery and the car scans for them and they will work

if it does not work, you will either have a problem with the fibre optic or bluetooth connection plug being incorrectly wired

you can also fit a later phone/bluetooth module, that later cars had, which is a black plastic unit that is phone and bluetooth combined, these dont come up as often, and you need to make sure it comes with the little bluetooth aerial that attaches under the parcel shelf, not sure of part number

cheers

joe

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok, update, the changer was jammed, couple of taps and it opened, full of CDs, it does jump when I go over bumps so perhaps a new one in time.

Single slot CD had a 5 pence piece in it, the mechanism had twisted, I bought a CD for a model without sat nav and swapped the mechanism, sorted!

Aircon, fitted new heater valve, the expansion tank overflow had cracked and been poorly repaired and was leaking hot water over the valve, new one fitted and a second hand ccu sorted that out.

i have sourced a bluetooth module and phone module as suggested above along with the fibre optic cable for the phone/voice/changer/nav, I had to change gender on the end connecting to the car.

only issue is, I have no power/interface cable to the phone module. Does this come from the voice module? There is a spare socket on that, or does it have its own feed, and if it does where is it.

im so close to have this sorted! I also need the bolts to hold the module on. 

New steering wheel is fitted, new alloys on the way.

also is it recommended to do the cam chain modification? I can't see it being done in the history.

thanks as always.