Electric Parkbrake

Old Peter

The car has sat two days on the drive  --  two cold days and nights.

This morning the message "Parkbrake Fault" appeared and the car would not move.

I know how to release the Parkbrake, but ask the question why do the two battery leads need different sizes of spanner?

Peter.

Hi Steve,

First make sure that you have the radio code.

Disconnect the battery - you will need two different sized of spanner.

Wait a few minutes, then reconnect the battery. The alarm will go off. All your settings - clock, radio, sometime the satnav will need the sound resetting, and then the window settings - full one press drop & return - each window individually.

I found it out when we were just about to go Leeds on New Years day and I had to call out Britannia Rescue  ---   the man did not know anything about modern cars, in his words!  My son in law googled it and there you are.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 2

I put together a procedure for resetting everything after battery dis-connect. INCLUDING how to reset your audio if you don't have the code.

If anybody wants a copy just PM me your e-mail address.

It's nothing that isn't readily available, just all brought together in a logical and comprehensive sequence.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2016 at 3:10 PM, Old Peter said:

Hi Steve,

First make sure that you have the radio code.

Disconnect the battery - you will need two different sized of spanner.

Wait a few minutes, then reconnect the battery. The alarm will go off. All your settings - clock, radio, sometime the satnav will need the sound resetting, and then the window settings - full one press drop & return - each window individually.

I found it out when we were just about to go Leeds on New Years day and I had to call out Britannia Rescue  ---   the man did not know anything about modern cars, in his words!  My son in law googled it and there you are.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for posting Pete.

I've just gone out to my car this morning (06:30) and have found exactly the same issue, plus GearBox Fault.

Once it's light enough to see, I'll follow your instructions.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn! It happened again this morning, although I was away in under 5 minutes :)

Could this be a low battery issue ??

I ask, as I currently only do about 3 miles each way to the station in the dark, with heater and HRW and HFW on, so wondering if it's battery affecting.

The engine starts OK, so I'm unsure.

Any suggestion on what needs replacing if not the battery please ?

Thanks.

CBers

I would think your battery is getting quite a battering! with those short journeys, you have quite a Lump of an engine to spin over, plus the electrical demand, heaters / windscreens / plugs, and of course the freezing weather.

I presume this is the same for any car, I had been advised, it could take 40 - 45 minutes to fully to up the battery (when in the car, on a run) after it gets low, had this problem several times with my Omega during winter months. Fingers crossed, not had it with the Jag yet, but not long ago she had a good couple of hours run (1 hour each way) so you could test the battery, or take her for a day out, she'll love you for it!

Steve

Hi Cbers,

Short journeys do take it out of the battery especially if you have lights and heater on.   I put my battery on charge once every couple of week, and, as Steve says, it takes about 45 minutes to give it a   full charge.

It used to be said that just to start the car took so much out of the battery that it took 7 miles to replace the power used.

You can buy these battery charge packs quite cheaply, but a good solution is get one of these solar chargers that sit on the dashboard and charge the battery in your absence.

Regards,

Peter.

That's quite a daily commute!

I would still be tempted to get the battery checked, are you a member of the AA / RAC or such like? might be worth a phone call, and explain about your intermittent park brake problem.

Couldn't advise you on whether to take to a Jag Dealer or not, but if starting a new job, I would fully charge the battery a couple of days before you start, and test it each day, to see if the problem reappears, may just save you an embarrassing first day in the new job!

Steve

• Like 2

Have had toe same EPB issue myself several times, each one being thoroughly inconvenient!  Have replaced battery and rear brake pads and still the fault would appear, albeit occassionally.  Fault never appeared when car had been standing overnight or longer and only ever occurred during a break/rtest in reasonable length journeys (1 hour+).  Has AA man out, had car's fault codes analysed etc etc.  Car take to Jag main dealer .....fault occurred when with them but still nothing on fault codes.

EPB electronic control module changed (unit cost approx £200) = no further recurrences of the fault. Very happy.

I noted that when the fault occurred at the Jag dealership they didn't go through disconnecting the battery and then resetting all the electronic but just disconnected both connectors to the electronic control module (boot, RHS behind panelling.)  Also, some video footage of another routine here:

• Like 1