Diesel Particulate filter

shrig2

I have 2007 SE TD 2.72 6 Cylinder type with around 38500 on the clock

I have encountered DPF filter problems before but they have been resolved by a long run or regeneration fluid. However, I have recently had a situation where suddenly the engine revved to max on an incline and in stationary. I switched off and then re-started but was only able to limp home at low speed. The following day, I started he car and it appeared normal but after driving approx 1 mile the same thing occurred. I have been advised to put in regeneration fluid and take for a 40 mile drive. However I read somewhere that the over revving maybe due to repeated failed attempts by the ECU to regenerate the DPF. This may have resulted in diesel being washed into the sump and potentially causing a situation where I cannot switch off the engine at max revs. Obviously I am concerned that this could result in a catastrophic situation if I am on the open road and unable to switch off or stall the car because it is automatic.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed from here.

Hi Rod, and welcome to the club.

I have heard of this before, but have never come across it.  When I read this about three years ago it was dismissed as a 'scare" theory.

I would be inclined not to take chances and  I would first change the Oil in the sump  ---  not expensive.

I would then switch on the engine and let it tick over on your drive for a short time to see if anything untoward happens.

You might also need to have the DPF regenerated in a garage.

I am not a mechanic, but if you think that the lubricating Oil has been contaminated changing it will at least put your mind at rest.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter. 

I have the iCarsoft lr2 code reader. It was quite expensive around about £100, but this will do a dpf regen, reset the park brake, and many others . See if there is anyone local to you with one they may help,  

Mine is always available to anyone who wants to come to my house.

Check the Oil level, excess fuel 'wash' will cause the level to rise. High Oil levels could result in what's known as 'pull over' which could potentially cause a runaway engine condition. 

If possible, as suggested by Old Peter, change the Oil at the very least. 

Then go for a nice long drive to regen the DPF. A passive regen could take at least 20-30 minutes depending on the soot level.

• 3 weeks later...

If this happens to anyone else neutral brakes get to side of road turn of ignition but not until your under control as steering may lock, if ignition stops engine ok if not then it's feeding off sump Oil, get out of car it will rev to destruction. If this advice is bad then please say so just thinking safety. 

I agree with Philip: If it starts to rev out of control, put it in neutral, pull over, and abandon car!

Of course, if you keep the Oil level well below maximum, keep an eye on the Oil to make sure that the level isn't rising, and get an Oil change if it does rise, then this dreadful event should never happen to you....

Hi

As silly as this sounds but I allways keep a power extinguisher in the boot

they take next to no space up

they do make a mess, but there work well on fuel fire's, letting one of these into the grill would starve the engine of air and it should stop

you can get them for less than a tenner these days and I carry it for peace of mind really

got mine from halfords at a £10 and they should have 5 years life, check the date when buying one

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

On Thursday, January 26, 2017 at 11:01 AM, GaryE said:

I have the iCarsoft lr2 code reader. It was quite expensive around about £100, but this will do a dpf regen, reset the park brake, and many others . See if there is anyone local to you with one they may help,  

Mine is always available to anyone who wants to come to my house.

Hi Gary,

How are you getting on with the lr2? Have you tried the dpf regeneration function? Just thinking of picking one up soon.

Cheers

Mark 

Its very good, havent tried the dpf function yet as it takes two and a run out to do it, the amount of detail you can get out of it is amazing, i have a problem with my parking sensors and it has identified the exact sensor that is faulty.

I havent really used one with so much information before so i am still getting used to it.

No they have rocketed up in price due to pressure on the pound. I bought one before the pound went haywire. Just looked at mine I paid £109.95, but it had £20 off, price was £129.95 previously

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership