Pirelli tyres

We are particular about keeping our two Jaguars (our low mileage XK and our S-type) as close as possible to how they left the factory.    The XK was produced with Dunlop Sport Max and that is how she will remain.  Our S-type (2007 2.7D) came originally with Pirelli shoes and, according to the DOT codes, had been replaced around 2012 with Pirelli Zero Nero (18" wheels).  When we purchased the S in July 2016, there was a small amount of cracking in the treads so we opted for a complete set of similar Pirelli Zero Nero.

These have covered just 6000 miles but the n/s front has developed a bulge in the outer sidewall.  There is no scuff mark on either the alloy or the tyre, and neither my partner nor myself are ever guilty of kerbing etc.

What experience has anybody had of Pirelli shoes (particularly Zero Nero)?  Sensible/gentle driving being the case, what sort of mileage on these tyres has anybody achieved.

Any recommended alternatives, as we have picked up that the Pirellis are somewhat prone to sidewall bulges.

All comments and advice most welcome!!

Happy growling

CIMG4219.JPG

HI

I'd say that's a manufacturing defect, in the material in the sidewall

you need to get it changed as soon as, would not like to drive that at speed, as it could let go and make a right mess

try going back to where you had them, they may be able to contact Pirelli and get it replaced free, they usually try to keep customers happy

you have nothing to lose, may be worth a try

thanks

Joe

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses so far. 

Joe.....did visit our local tyre supplier from whence the Pirellis came this morning.    Apparently, we have to buy a new replacement and then the supplier will submit the tyre to Pirelli for examination (including x-ray).  Should the claim be successful, we should be refunded directly by Pirelli.  Initial thought from the technician was that we are looking at impact damage (with which we do not, of course, agree at all).

Must admit, somewhat disappointed at this from a premium tyre so we shall update the thread when we have any further news.  Needless to say, the S is parked up until Wednesday when we return to have the new tyre fitted (had to be ordered in, although it did arrive this afternoon0. Tomorrow is taken up with taking the XK to Derby for service so no problem.  Certainly, not happy to go anywhere other than round the corner with a tyre likely to fail explosively!

As always, happy growling

Hi

That's good if there been no impact damage, then once they check the tyre, you should get a refund eventually

I take it you don't have a full size spare wheel, just the space saver , as you could of put the spare wheel on

I hate the space savers, I bought a full size alloy, there quite cheap for a good condition used one and they still fit in the boot, can't beat a full size spare

cheers

Joe

• 2 months later...

Well, we finally we got a response from Pirelli....after 12 weeks!    And not a good one, but we did say we would update the thread when there was something to add.

As per our post above (by the way, Joe, you are correct in assuming we have a spacesaver spare, so the offending tyre did a gentle few miles to our tyre supplier only) we returned to our supplier,  whereupon a new tyre was fitted (which we paid for) and our faulty tyre was remitted to Pirelli.   All this back in April.

We can categorically state that there was no pothole impact on the tyre, the bulge simply appeared.  There are no marks of any sort on the alloy wheel and we most definitely don't kerb slide or kerb mount.

After 12 weeks Pirelli have dismissed the claim stating that the bulge is a result of impact damage.  End of story.

Needless to say, no more Pirellis for us!    We replaced all 4 tyres on our '07 S at the same time, and a minimal mileage had been covered when the offending tyre failed, so they will all 4 come up for renewal at the same time.......we shall look at either Dunlop Sport Maxx (as on our '07 XK) or maybe Continental.

We are aware, from various forums, that sidewall bulges can be an issue with Pirellis, but Pirelli seem not to be interested.

Apart from that, as always, happy growling everybody!

I changed from Pirelli to Goodyear Eagle Assymetric, ad they came in top place in a survey which looked at road holding in the wet, noise rating, and EU compatibility. And they are very quiet!

Peter.

Never been a Pirelli fan. Normally I would go for Michelin - a bit expensive but last much longer than most other brands. I've got Dunlop Sport Max on the XKR and had them on my previous XK and they were quite good. The winter tyre version of the Dunlop Sport Max is excellent.

• Like 1

Hi

Pirelli's tyres are good, but I think no matter what brand you get, there all ways going to squirm out of replacing Tyre's for free, unless its a really obvious fault like cloth or wire hanging out of tyre thread

If your only using the car for general use all Tyre are much the same, even budget Tyre's are quite good these days

the only thing you have to watch is, if you like putting you foot down every now and then and your car is rear wheel drive, like the S-type then a softer type compound Tyre is better for grip, the S-type R will teach you this quite quick.

most Tyre are very good these days, I all ways say buy the best you can afford, never buy used or repaired Tyre's, definitely a no no,

I use the Continental sport contact 3, which came with the car from new, there ok, great once warmed up, but would also recommend, Goodyears eagles

There's usually some sort of compromise with Tyre's the harder they are, the longer they last, but the least they grip, The softer they are, The least they last, but the better they grip.

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Thankyou all.  Guess what, John....we are not a Pirelli fan now either!   Joe, what you say makes perfect sense.  Both with our S and our XK, we enjoy going over to the Welsh Marches and having a (legal) "squirt" here and there, and consequently a compound erring towards softer is preferred.    My partner remembers once going out in his Rover SD1 V8 racer at Thruxton in the '80s, and choosing a way-to-hard compound, whereupon the SD1 became a veritable tail-happy toboggan!   Used and repaired tyres......absolutely not, we always go for premium tyres, which is what makes this issue all the more disappointing.      We weren't disappointed (with our XK) to find that the Dunlop Sport Max, which were original, needed replacing (despite the car, at the time of our purchase, having only covered 6600 miles) as they were 9 years old and the car had spent most of its life standing still (some years, less than 200 miles between MOTs) and therefore had some flat spots.

What we found strange is that we were told, when the faulty tyre was removed, that it would be sent back to Pirelli and it would take between 8 and 11 weeks for a result to come through.  As we hadn't heard anything at the 11 week mark, we contacted the supplying dealer who said that they would communicate with Pirelli (this on Tuesday). Later that day, we were informed by the dealer that Pirelli stated they "were still in the testing process and would communicate with us in about 2 weeks time".         Strangely, we then got a letter on Friday (dated Thursday) and, therefore, only two days later, stating that there was no claim due to what amounts to impact damage.  Hmm.

The (very standard format) letter says that we have the option of having the tyre returned to the dealer for our collection.  We are going to do this, half expecting that the tyre will then have mysteriously disappeared.   Watch this space!

:tank:

The only car side wall I have ever had fail without any significant impact was a Pirelli, a Cinturato P7 245/40x18 on my current Jaguar. If they are indeed given to weak side walls by design then I'd move on and use different makes. But they need taking on over this apparent brush-off they're giving you. 

• Like 1

HI

Its worth mentioning, if your considering buying tyres, I all ways buy tyre's with the XL rating

The XL tyres, are extra load, the side walls are reinforced and work better on our S-type, Due to the extra weight

There usually no dearer and support the car better

The Continental sport contact 3, I use on my S-type R come in both normal and XL extra load, but I would only fit the XL

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

Thankyou one and all.    

Joe, yes our Pirelli set on the S (including the one that failed) are XL rating for reasons that you state.  (As, indeed, are the Dunlop Sport Max on our XK).

Laz (Ralph), yes, taken on they are.   We smell something fishy in Smithfield with regard to the 11 week delay then sudden response.  My partner and I are firm believers in the old addages "Non Illegitimo Carborundum" and (being Welsh) "We didn't come up the Severn in a coracle".

Big M.  Like your style, with regard to Michelin taking a look!   The white rubbery man is all excited.

We shall update as and when there's any news.  What fun the Forum can be!!

As always, happy growling

:rip: Pirelli

• 1 month later...

Well, as promised, here's an update........the following is part of an earlier post on the topic, from us......

The (very standard format) letter says that we have the option of having the tyre returned to the dealer for our collection and further independent analysis.  We are going to do this, half expecting that the tyre will then have mysteriously disappeared.   Watch this space!

Well, well.....guess what.    We are now 5 weeks further on and no communication, no sign of the offending tyre, and the supplying dealer still stating "what do you expect when you hit a pothole", when we know quite categorically that we haven't.

We have now escalated the matter to Micheldever's Head Office but, as we have stated before, something smells fishy in Spittalfields.

Whatever happens, looks like the supplying dealer is losing the business of both our Jaguars and the Citroen runabout, and as for Pirelli........NO SIR!

Again, for interest, we shall update when anything occurs.

Once again :rip: Pirelli

Right on, Peter.     We are very happy with the Dunlop Sport Maxx on our XK X150 but, yes, it will be a toss-up between Goodyear and Dunlop next time the S needs tyres.    As stated previously, we shall update the thread when there is further to say.........we don't think Pirelli are doing themselves any favours; we'll leave out naming the supplier for now and see if they redeem themselves.  We aren't holding our breath!

Latest update ......... 2 days after a "snotty" letter to the supplier, well well, we get a call from same saying that the tyre "appears" to have left Pirelli, thence to supplier's depot in Winchester, then to Halifax where it should have gone to Walsall and then on to Stourbridge!!!!!! It is somewhere in between, most likely Halifax, and will be with us "shortly".      That's a maybe,then.

Needless to say, we have photos of the offending tyre before going off to Pirelli, so let's see.       Such fun, as Miranda's mum would have said.

Happy grrrrrrring

Well, here's the final update.  Needless to say, when dealing with the behemoths, it didn't end well for us!

The offending tyre suddenly magically appeared having been all over the shop, or as in the words of the well-known song (well, it was once) from Bob Monkhouse "I've been everywhere, man".

It was, indeed, our tyre but still no joy whatsoever from the supplying dealer or Pirelli, who had attached a curt "Nil credit" sticker to our Extra Load rated Premium tyre.

The original paperwork from when the tyre originally went back to Pirelli during April (some 18 weeks ago) stated that we could, if we wished, have an independent tyre tester examine the tyre, which was originally our intention.    However, having paid £110 for the tyre which had covered 6K miles, with an expected lifespan of roughly 25-30K miles, we were told that a successful appeal would result in credit of 75%.     Then the cost of the independent tester works out at in excess of £100.

We know when we are beat so we have called the matter to a close, expecting that, after the way the dealer and Pirelli have performed, we should probably end up well-stuffed (much like the proverbial turkey).

Needless to say, no more Pirellis for us (on our XK, S-type or runabout Citroen Grand Picasso) and we shall be looking for a new tyre supplier in our area.     Now that it's all over we can state that the supplying dealer was ProTyre Chemix near Stourbridge.

Heyho, might as well go back to sorting out the contents of the glove box (refer to another thread concerning USB connection for understanding of that!).

We'll avoid the obvious "tyred-out" comments; then again...............

As always, happy growling  :wallbash:

That's unfortunate Carole - but a typical case of the "little guy" against the "machine". Personally, I don't think you'll be missing very much by not using Pirelli again - never been a fan. I've just returned to my favourite - Michelin. I've just put a pair on the rear of our estate (not a Jag :wacko:) and I'm very pleased with them. When it comes time to change on the XKR, I'll be going with Michelin this time.

Just a thought - have you thought about contacting the motoring press with details of your experience. They may be able to "persuade" the "machine" to re-consider its treatment of your good self. It could also benefit the public in general and alert them to the poor response they are likely to receive if they encounter any problems. I'd suggest something like Auto Express, Car Mechanics, Jaguar World etc - there shouldn't be any cost to yourself - just a little time to email - worth a thought.

Yes, thanks John; we are considering such.            Even at the first approach to the selling dealer, a cursory examination of the tyre (still on the S-type) brought forth a curt "kerb or pothole damage", and this seems to be the default setting of both supplier and Pirelli.

Thing is, we are demons for NOT even touching kerbs and we both know full well that we haven't clobbered any potholes.   My partner, in particular, and he's the one that drives the S (we share the XK driving) is very fussy about avoiding even slightly sunken manholes (where the road has had a surface dressing but the manhole cover hasn't been raised by the thickness of the dressing).

I suppose you could call us Mr & Mrs Angry from Jaguarland, but it is more a matter of principle than the money involved.

Enjoy your XKR!

Pirelli used to be the tyre of choice for Jaguar, but they seemed not to be improving their tyres and concentrating too much on their racing tyres.

Goodyear, Michelin,  Vredestein and Dunlop all concentrated on the bigger market first and racing afterwards and his showed in the tyre surveys.  Pirelli seemed not to understand that the bulk market produced more money and with more  money they could indulge themselves in producing racing tyres.

Peter.