Window open/close problem

Bamber

Hi

I have searched this and other forums for an answer but have struggled to 100% confirm exactly what the issue is.

In the video below you can see that when I try to open my window with one touch or a long press, the window opens about 2 inches and stops. Also the same when closing the window too.
All other three windows open as normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1naR...ature=youtu.be

Please can someone confirm if I do need a new regulator?

Apologies if this has been covered and I haven't been able to find it.

Regards

Bam

I suspect the anti-trap hasn't been calibrated. This is a part of the post battery disconnection / re-connection process which is usually ignored.

Try this:-

Close the window fully. Press and hold the switch in the closed position for three seconds, or until you hear a slight click from the mechanism.

Try the window again as it should now be calibrated.

Welcome to the club BTW :)

34 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

I suspect the anti-trap hasn't been calibrated. This is a part of the post battery disconnection / re-connection process which is usually ignored.

Try this:-

Close the window fully. Press and hold the switch in the closed position for three seconds, or until you hear a slight click from the mechanism.

Try the window again as it should now be calibrated.

Welcome to the club BTW :)

Hi Raistlin and thanks for the warm welcome.

I forgot to mention that I've tried the calibration process and it's not helped, I could be wrong but I'm guessing that because theres only one door affected then it wouldn't be the calibration?

I'm clueless with this kind of stuff so please ignore my ignorance.

Cheers

The calibration process is required on each door Matt.

Having had another look at your video, it seems as if one shot opening and closing isn't enabled on that window for some reason.

I think I'd need to see the car on diagnostics to be sure.

The clone Mongoose can be picked up on fleabay for circa £75 Matt. The software is also readily available online or I can provide it.

Check this video out to get an idea. The company also sells the Mongoose but they tend to be expensive.

Video

You'd need a Windows XP laptop or PC with a USB port ro you can use a Windows 7 or 10 PC but you need to open a virtual Windows XP session which can be painfully slow.

Personally, I was quite happy to spend a few pounds on a relatively low specced laptop and run Windows XP as the OS.

hi

at a guess its lost its position sensor, either the unit is faulty in the window motor or wiring

try wriggling the wires in the door shut gap, the wires there can break, due the constant opening and shutting of the door

cheers

Joe

Thanks guys I'll give these a go.

Someone on another forum has responded with the following;

Just been through this problem on my X350. Exactly as you described and ended up replacing the regulator complete with motor and motor controller. I think it's the motor controller that fails, it's a small printed circuit board that's attached to the motor.
The complete unit was fairly cheap from Ebay and I lubricated everything in sight when replacing it. 
BTW even with the unit out of the door but still connected and under no load the old unit was still sticking.

Interesting I'm going to see if I can locate a motor

• 2 years later...

I am having a problem with my rear passenger window in my 2017 F Pace.  It was working fine until I had the car detailed. (don't know if that has anything to do with it but the problem started immediately afterwards).  When I start my car that window automatically go down.  Then it wont go up or down.  If I shut the engine off, I can then put the window up and down.  As soon as I turn the engine on, the window automatically goes down again and will not close.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  This is driving me crazy.

• 3 months later...

I am having a similar problem with my 2006 Jaguar S Type 3.0.  The problem started after I blew two fuses in the car using an electric jack off of the cigarette lighter.  I replaced the fuses that blew, but now the rear passenger side window will not go up unless the driver door is wide open. It will go down.  I tried the self calibration and it did not work.  I was hoping there was some kind of an easy fix without bringing it to the dealership.  I guess it could be the wires in the door since the the window only goes up when the door is open.  Any suggestions?  Would it help if I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it?  Would that possibly reset whatever might be going on?  Like I said, it was never a problem until I blew the fuses in the car.  Thanks.

9 hours ago, 2006JaguarSType3.0 said:

I am having a similar problem with my 2006 Jaguar S Type 3.0.  The problem started after I blew two fuses in the car using an electric jack off of the cigarette lighter.  I replaced the fuses that blew, but now the rear passenger side window will not go up unless the driver door is wide open. It will go down.  I tried the self calibration and it did not work.  I was hoping there was some kind of an easy fix without bringing it to the dealership.  I guess it could be the wires in the door since the the window only goes up when the door is open.  Any suggestions?  Would it help if I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it?  Would that possibly reset whatever might be going on?  Like I said, it was never a problem until I blew the fuses in the car.  Thanks.

That sound like a break in the wiring on the drivers door shut

try wrigling the wires in the door shut, they can snap there due to age and its the pivot point for the wiring

cheers

Joe

Hi

To me both of these cases are possibly corrupt code in the door modules as they both occurred following an electrical event, blown fuse in one case and possible low voltage event following prolonged standby conditions running on the battery whilst being detailled.

My advice would be to get them both hooked up to the diagnostic computer and a simple reset may well sort the problem

John

Hi

Cant see it been door modules, as theres only one door module on the s-type and thats in the drivers door

and if that was corrupt nothing would work, none of the windows, central locking and lots more

have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset everything, make sure you have radio code before you do

cheers

Joe

I checked the codes in the car with a code scanner and nothing came up.  I also disconnected the battery and connected it again and that did not fix the problem.  I did have a problem with the door module when I first bought the car and it was not working properly and was constantly draining the battery.  It took the Jaguar dealership four months of running diagnostics and checking an insane amount of wires and electronics on the car before they discovered it was a corrupt door module. That faulty door module was replaced.  Even after they figured out it was the door module, they still had problems programming the new door module.  I know this is going to sound crazy, but last night after properly shutting the center console, the window started to work properly again.  I don't think there are any sensors in the center console, but once I shut the center console and moved it to the forward position, the window started to work properly again.  Maybe it was just a coincidence?  I am going to keep an eye on the window and see if it continues to function normally.  If it doesn't, I will bring it into the Jaguar dealership because they are really the only ones who have the computer and software to properly fix that kind of a problem.  I want to thank everyone for their help.  I really like this forum.  Everyone is very helpful. If you have any other ideas as to what it might be, please let me know because if I have to bring it into the dealership I want to be able to give them some idea of what the problem might be.  Thanks again.

• 3 months later...