Sheered wheel nuts

Clive Hunt

Hello All,

I have a Jaguar XF S 3.0d (62 plate). I have now had a second wheel nut sheer whilst trying to remove a wheel (one front and one rear). The first was just over a year ago and cost almost £1000 to resolve at my main dealer. The second happened a week ago and is about to go back into the main dealer to be sorted once again. The reason for wheel removal was firstly, a puncture, the second to replace the front brake pads. My fear is that more will sheer in the near future.

Is this a common fault? Does anyone know how best to get the sheered nut out/off for cheaper?

Many thanks,

Clive Hunt

hi

not sure about the XF, but I think the wheels nuts are the same on my S-type R

if there the flat seat ones with a stainless cover, there a bad design, if there tightened up with air guns, the stainless sleeve slips and you can't get them  undone, also there reknown for shearing off

have a look at the pics below

cheers

Joe

standard ones oe wheel bolts

nuts.thumb.jpg.0453c28e10b7530c7a21da4deb3ed8d2.jpg

swap them for these, these are solid no covers and are still 19mm so oe wheel brace can be used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-JAGUAR-S-TYPE-X-TYPE-CHROME-LUG-BOLT-STUD-QUALITY-20L/322551270259?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Joe,

Very many thanks for the info on the wheel nuts. They look very similar if not the same as on my XF. I have had 2 sheer so far, am I the only one I wonder?

No doubt it’s going to cost me a small fortune to have it removed by my Jaguar dealer!

Cheers,

Clive Hunt

• 6 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 8:37 PM, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

not sure about the XF, but I think the wheels nuts are the same on my S-type R

if there the flat seat ones with a stainless cover, there a bad design, if there tightened up with air guns, the stainless sleeve slips and you can't get them  undone, also there reknown for shearing off

have a look at the pics below

cheers

Joe

standard ones oe wheel bolts

nuts.thumb.jpg.0453c28e10b7530c7a21da4deb3ed8d2.jpg

swap them for these, these are solid no covers and are still 19mm so oe wheel brace can be used

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x-ALLOY-WHEEL-NUTS-JAGUAR-S-TYPE-X-TYPE-CHROME-LUG-BOLT-STUD-QUALITY-20L/322551270259?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

And this is what lurks beneath the chrome cap after just 8 years. Get them changed for the solid versions.

90A716A2-8F99-4CB7-9F76-E8ACFD1882CE.jpeg

View all the latest Jaguar leasing deals here:

Limited Stock*for early 2022

*Due to the on-going semiconductor issues, the supply of new cars and vans has been dramatically hit. If you are due to change your vehicle/s in the next year or so you will NEED to start looking now to avoid disappointment or potentially being without a vehicle.