3years X Type ownership 3 minutes JOC member, Hi...

Painless

Hello,

My name is Mike and I have owned my first Jaguar (X Type 2.2D Sport Premium estate or "sportbrake" if you prefer 2005), for three years.

I bought the car from Harwoods of Chichester with 34000 miles and one owner. it is "petrol green" with a cream leather and piano black interior.....lovely. Great all rounder and in my opinion a bit of a looker (unlike myself lol).

I decided that at 65000miles it was time spend a little cash on the car so recently had it mapped to approx 190bhp and 320 lb ft and partially blanked the EGR. What a difference! I would seriously recommend this £253.05 upgrade to anyone: )

Next week I am having a free flow stainless exhaust system fitted with a nice little twin tailpipe.

In the spring I am going to fit new alloys and tyres (in keeping with discrete Jaguar styling of course), because I intend to keep the car so I figure that it is worth "pampering" if you know what I mean ?

Nice to meet you !

Mike.

• Like 1

Hello,

My name is Mike and I have owned my first Jaguar (X Type 2.2D Sport Premium estate or "sportbrake" if you prefer 2005), for three years.

I bought the car from Harwoods of Chichester with 34000 miles and one owner. it is "petrol green" with a cream leather and piano black interior.....lovely. Great all rounder and in my opinion a bit of a looker (unlike myself lol).

I decided that at 65000miles it was time spend a little cash on the car so recently had it mapped to approx 190bhp and 320 lb ft and partially blanked the EGR. What a difference! I would seriously recommend this £253.05 upgrade to anyone: )

Next week I am having a free flow stainless exhaust system fitted with a nice little twin tailpipe.

In the spring I am going to fit new alloys and tyres (in keeping with discrete Jaguar styling of course), because I intend to keep the car so I figure that it is worth "pampering" if you know what I mean ?

Nice to meet you !

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Boys and their toys eh, I too am an X-Type owner albeit only since Sat last.

I am absolutely besotted with it, its a 2.2D Sov 2008 with some of the 2009 spec.

I am indeed a born again Jag man, many years ago I had a Daimler 4.2 Sov 1980 and a series  2 1978 4.2 Daimler Sov, both cars were my "Babies", mad I know but I understand how you can have a car three years and still have that magic feeling for it (It does make me smile tho') my girlfriend siad she wished she had the same affect haha

I missed out on two cars over the last few months so when this one came up I wasn't going to let it escape so a friend and I drove up to Wakefield (W/Yorkshire) from Essex  6am Sat and straight back again, what a fantastic feeling driving back in "My Jag".

It's certainly a cads car,I was surprised how much power it seemed to be able to produce when  needed.

Funny thing in the days when I had my Daimlers if someone siad they liked the Jag I used to swiftly point out the differances, fluted chrome and stuff.

Interesting you mentioning mapping, I have only recently heard the term, is that some thing they do at Jags, and how does it affect economy and does it affect your insurance?, i'm a bit green at the moment. 

Anyhow better sign off now(Up for work 7am)

Steve

Hi Mike...Hi Steve,

A big welcome to the club to you both !

Glad to hear that you are both thoroughly enjoying your Jags.

We will be posting up an article on 'Mapping' in the near future so hopefully that will dispel any myths and confirm the positives.

Kind Regards     Trevor

Thanks Trevor and hello Steve,

X Types are a great way of owning a Jaguar for those of us who can't afford to run a Jaguar lol

I am also looking forward to reading the article on mapping to see how it compares to the research I did before interfering with my cars "brain" and respiratory system so to speak.

To answer at least part of your question Steve, the re flashed ECU map allows for either much more power and drivability OR better fuel economy if your right foot is fitted with mechanical sympathy and tenderness :) It's all about efficiency they say.

I would like to see a few pics of your X Type and I will be happy to post a few of mine if you are interested.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Another late one tonight, hopefully i'll get a chance at the weekend to post a few pics, I'd like to see some of your X-Type pics also,

That's quite a serious increase in power you achieved, I drove my friends 2.2 Mondeo Tit' last week I think he said it was 175 BHP, I don't really do that many miles in the car to worry about economy, I rather like the idea of an extra 25% increase in power, is it a straight forward standardised process?

The car has a Jag history to 62,000 and I'v just purchased it with 75000 on the clock so I had a full service carried out on Tues fortunately nothing major required just the usual fluids and filters plus break fluid recommended along with wheel geometry and pollen filter, I had reported a noise at the rear of the car which I thought maybe a rear shock, it turned out to be the spare wheel not tightened down properly (Refreshingly honest on the part of the garage) 

The drivers seat has a little wear as you would expect given the millage but all other seats like new, it started life as a Jag demo and has had one other owner, I intend to look into having the driver sat leather re-conditioned, it really isn't bad but would be nice if it looked as good as the rest.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes mapping is a fairly common and standardised non standard upgrade lol. It will be worth waiting to read the article on mapping here as it will be Jaguar specific and no doubt well researched.

Keeping leather seats looking fresh is not easy if you will keep sitting on them but regular application of a good leather treatment will help !

Will post a few pics of my X type after I have the new exhaust fitted next Wednesday sir : )

Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike,

I'll look forward to the pics, If its not raining tomorrow I'll take a few of mine, actually i'll copy and paste a few which I have from the guy I bought it off.

A9169F6C3A484717953DB101523D3A2D.jpg

F8EF12A65BB14312B1E6A3A0E461F8EE.jpg

E0375088257E4391A068CCC654D0D952.jpg

Must have an earlier one tonight

Regards   

Steve

• Like 1

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a few months and have just decided to register.

Currently I have an S Type 2.7 D SE [2007] which I have had since my previous car, a 2005 X Type 2.5AWD was stolen from my drive.

I have Pirelli P Zeros fitted but I am thinking of changing to Vredesteins following a recommendation.

Has anyone any thoughts?

Hello Steve,

Those Sovereign interiors are very nice indeed, I really like the wood and the piping on the seats.

Nice looking car you have there !

Your alloys are quite similar in design to the "Dezent" wheels I have my eye on :)

Hello Peter btw !

Mike.

Hi Peter....and welcome to the forum !

I have to say from past experiences that I would stick to the Pirelli's or another top brand (e.g. Michelin, etc).

Had problems with Vredesteins in the past with them feeling very vague on the road surface.

Regards    Trevor

• 1 month later...

My twopenny's worth on the tyres front -

I was recommended to BF Goodriche by a tyre fitters I have used for 22 years. I fitted them to my Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo which was tail happy to say the least!

The transformation, especially in the wet, was astronomical! From a car that would drift exiting a roundabout as soon as the turbo spooled (It was 385bhp!) to one that needed the clutch dumping to get it to break traction in the wet!!!

Needless to say, I won't fit anything else! I was recently quoted £79 each for 225/45 17's and at that price you cannot go wrong. My last car, a Vectra V6, was shod in them and could outrun many a sports car on wet twisties. They are simply astounding in the wet and the dry cornering is exceptional too. I managed just over 25000 miles in the Vectra on a set of BFG's and it was driven accordingly (wink wink).

My X-Type (when purchased in the next few days hopefully!) will be treated to a set of BFG's asap! 

Try them. I will guarantee you won't be disappointed and will probably change for life