preec

cannot apply parking brake message

Upon turning off my 04 diesel stype auto.the message-` fault - parking brake not applied` comes up.

What is likely cause and solution?

Cost? gulp?

Prob someone will come up with the right answer? But I would prob disconect battery for a bit and see if it resets it's self? But you may have to rest windows and radio. After battery disconect. But as I say prob somebody come back with the right way.

Hi Colin,

Phil has told you the first choice for a park brake fault, and if that doesn't work you might have to have a look underneath to see if any mechanical bit is broken.

Regards,

Peter.

The parking brake should go into an interactive calibration if you've had the battery dis-connected so I'd agree with that being the first thing to do.

The calibration procedure is outlined in your car's handbook. If you don't have a handbook I can tell you what to do :)

I had the same problem with mine which proved to be very expensive to resolve. I tried disconnecting the battery and performing the EPB reset which worked, however as soon as I tried to re-apply the handbrake the message came up again.  I thought it might be the battery so I spent £120 on a new battery which didn't resolve the problem.  A couple of weeks later I drove to my local recycling center and didn't notice the handbrake had actually applied when I took the key out of the ignition.  When I went to drive off I got "Cannot release parkbrake"! and it was stuck on.  I called my local Jag mechanic who took the car to the garage (for a reasonable £80).  When they tried diags on the EPB module It didn't respond so the garage suggested a new module which cost me £350.  When the new module was fitted it reported a faulty motor which also cost £350. 

I now have a working handbrake, but it cost me £900 to get it fixed. 

Re-calibrated handbrake-----------------success.

Thought another bill was  on the horizon !

Thanks for help.

Only trouble is--The monster in law is staying at the moment, and I was using handbrake as an excuse for not taking her to kendal shopping.!!

I see an hour pushing her round marks and spencer looming. :unsure: