Simjag

Rear Brake pad lasted 1 month!

Recommended Posts

Hi all,
2 weeks ago I removed my rear wheels to investigate grinding from the rear to find this -

001_zpssihekpyo.jpg

002_zpso4sr6vbu.jpg

003_zpsa1dwm94k.jpg

But more shocking is the fact that I fitted new rear Mintex pads at the start of March so they have done 1k/5 weeks!

Before you say it yes the slide bolts are nice and free, with pads removed the caliper can be moved side ways with one finger.

The pad material has sheared off and removed itself from the brake.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first glance this seems to be a faulty brake pad Simon but have you confirmed correct operation of your electronic handbrake?

If you look underneath the car at the back while somebody else operates the handbrake you should clearly see the motor driving both calipers evenly. Just a thought and quite often the culprit when rear brake pads wear unevenly or quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

At first glance this seems to be a faulty brake pad Simon but have you confirmed correct operation of your electronic handbrake?

If you look underneath the car at the back while somebody else operates the handbrake you should clearly see the motor driving both calipers evenly. Just a thought and quite often the culprit when rear brake pads wear unevenly or quickly.

Maybe but not 1000 miles!

Yes EPB was reset after pad change and with handbrake on both rear wheels locked and then off both wheels spin freely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK Simon,

has to be a faulty brake pad then. Presumably you are going to take it up with the manufacturer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

OK Simon,

has to be a faulty brake pad then. Presumably you are going to take it up with the manufacturer?

Yes emailed last week.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bad luck Simon, that sucks! The pads look much older than those few weeks, must've had a hard life! I'd be tempted to change the discs as well, particularly now they've been scraped up. It looks like the pads have had trouble conforming to the irregular surface, but this is no excuse for them failing within this short time I'd say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Russ68 said:

Bad luck Simon, that sucks! The pads look much older than those few weeks, must've had a hard life! I'd be tempted to change the discs as well, particularly now they've been scraped up. It looks like the pads have had trouble conforming to the irregular surface, but this is no excuse for them failing within this short time I'd say...

Yes new discs now needed again, they were changed about 30k ago.

Emailed manufacturer saying want both discs and pads replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Simon

did you fit the pads your self

I've known that sometimes if you fit new pads to worn discs, heavy initial braking can cause the lining to come off the pad plate

if you get discs with high ridges or raised ridges at the outer and inner edges of the disc, if heavy braking is used when there new, you have a gap in the middle of the pad

when you brake, it squashes the pad to meet the disc and will flex the pad enough sometimes to break the lining off the pad

I'd replace pads, discs and even the brake cables, I'm sure you can replace discs, pads and cables for about £150 from british car parts, which is quite cheap for a modern car

here https://www.britishparts.co.uk/t/jaguar/jaguar-s-type , I've used them and quality is good

cables when they get old, can stick at randoms times, they might only stick once in ten times, but that once will destroy the pads and maybe discs and calipers, also when they wear, they get water in them and on frosty morning, I've seen these cable stick, because of water frozen in them

cheers

joe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have a reply from them-

Hi Mr .....,

Our Technical director has taken a look at your photos. There is evidence of material on the backing plate so we do not believe this is a detachment so this wear could indeed be caused by a sticking calliper. However we would like to see the product to further investigate and in doing so would like to offer you FOC rear pads and discs. Please can you give me your registration or Mintex part numbers for these products.

That's what I call a result!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. They never admit anything of course, but free replacements sort of tells the story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...