Cheap, high mileage S-Type R, should I ?

The Voices

On 5 September 2016 at 9:42 PM, The Voices said:

Steve, I would look at the overall condition and evidence of servicing and repairs rather than low mileage.

For example, you might find the lowest mileage, most expensive 2002 STR but most of the components would still be 14 years old.

In the case of things like rubber hoses, I can't say with any certainty that it is mileage, age or the number of 'heat cycles' that the hose has been through that cause the failure ?

My personal theory is that, generally, the manufacturer irons out more of the problems as the model life of a car continues, so buy the newest that I can for the budget.

My 'budget' high mileage STR stands me at less than half the price of the similar age cars on Autotrader.

Some of those cars are still on 80k+ miles, which might be low mileage on a 2006 registered vehicle but for me does not justify the extra expense.

Who knows, I might have spent the extra and still had some teething troubles and the associated expense ?

20 hours ago, Russ68 said:

I agree with Jon, modern engines are not like the old days where you'd have to have the heads of to decoke them and they needed rebuilding regularly. Having a nice low mileage example is good from a vanity / bragging rights point of view, but is no great indication of condition or reliability. Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a car is it not being used, or only used on short trips, both of which are more likely with a low miler than a high miler. I'm guessing that an 80K example may (not) have had the valley pipe done, a 130K one almost certainly will have. Just IMHO, but I wouldn't be hung up on the mileage, go on condition and history and finding one in the spec and age you're looking for :wink:.

Thank guys 

As always very good advice and valid reasoning. As you say Russ, I am a little hung up on the mileage, perhaps it would be easier to set a budget and see what's out there, within the distance I'm prepared to travel. Maybe 5 - 6k (the px value of my car is included in that) but I could shift the top end if needed 

Steve

Good call on the expansion cap Joe, I just changed my cap in an effort to stop the water loss from expansion tank. They're cheap so it's a no brainer really. I couldn't find a 120 rated, as came off, so went with a 140. Not sure if it's helped yet as not used the Jag for a few days...

10 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi Jon

I'd be tempted to change the expansion tank cap

there usually a little breather valve built into the cap, so when the system cools, it can suck air back into the expansion tank

looking at your hoses how they have collapsed, there should only ever be pressure in there and when the system cools the cap is suppose to let air into the expansion tank to stop a vacuum being created and causing hoses to collapse

might be worth swapping the cap

cheers

joe

Thanks Joe, I had already ordered one just in case.

Well !

I finally managed to get jubilee clips on the hose and tightened up.

Remembered I had a set of these:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/sockets-accessories/halfords-advanced-ratchet-spanner-adaptor-set

Basically allows you to use a ratchet spanner and attach sockets, much smaller profile than a normal ratchet handle.

Used the 1/4 inch drive version, which fits a 10mm ratchet spanner.

Had to grind down a cheap 7mm socket to make it 'shorter' and managed to get it onto the nut on the jubilee clip.

I then wedged a pry bar behind the spanner, so that it could not slip off and finally managed to tighten the damn thing up !

Refilled the coolant, fitted new radiator cap and fired up the car, monitored the coolant temperature on my tablet using the 'Torque' App.

Turned the heater up and down to help get rid of any air pockets.

So far, so good !

Until....................

I got out and had a look under the car, only to see more pink coolant dripping off the undertray !

Looked under the bonnet and could hear a hissing sound near the bulkhead.

On closer inspection, there was a fine spray coming from somewhere behind the supercharger.

It looks as though this was the initial cause of the coolant loss plus the collapsing hoses, my contribution was the split hose which was loosing a lot more !

Let it cool down, topped it up again (minimal loss) and nursed it to Bolton for Andy to get on with fixing it (nervously monitoring the temperature on the tablet all the way and took it very easy)

Got to the dealership in one piece and let him take a look after he finished work.

He had a look using a torch and mirror and showed me a 'pinhole' in one of the hoses.

I ordered the hoses that could be the cause of the problem (throttle body coolant hoses ?) so that he can replace them all at the same time.

Fingers crossed that he manages to fix it, he goes away on holiday for two weeks come Friday evening !

• Like 1

May have a problem.

It was 5.30pm yesterday when we ordered the hoses, cut off for next day delivery is 4pm.

Consequently, hoses don't arrive until tomorrow !

If I had been thinking straight, I should have asked for them to be ordered VOR (vehicle off road) to get priority delivery.

Only problem is that I would not have got any discount if ordered VOR but I would have been willing to pay 'full up' for a change if the parts arrived more quickly.

Chances of a 'proper' fix tomorrow are slim, given how difficult it is to get to the hoses.

Andy did mention the possibility of a temporary solution so I can at least get the MOT done whilst he is away on holiday ?

I presume a 'patch' of some kind over the pinhole to minimise coolant loss ?

The only 'good' thing is that in 35 miles of driving it didn't loose enough liquid to bring up the 'low coolant' warning.

MOT is due 19th September, nothing obvious I can see other than rear tyres are close to the limit, new Michelin Pilot Sport 4's arrived today so need to get them fitted at some point.

14 hours ago, Russ68 said:

Excellent ingenuity on the tool making there, sounds epic! Hopefully your guy can sort it and you be back up to speed before he goes away :wink:

Just wish I had worked it out a week ago !

I did the cut 'freehand' with the mini grinder so not the neatest job.

Now I have the urge to build the stand I bought a while ago that turns the mini grinder into a chop saw, then I could make a neater version of the cut down socket !

I think the one I bought came from either Lidl or Aldi, just need to get round to putting it together !

Andy was unable to do anything before he went on holiday, did not want to pull it in bits and then not have time to re-assemble before he left.

Had to nurse it home as I could not really leave it at the dealership for two weeks.

I will have a quick look myself, the new hoses are in the boot but not examined them yet.

Pain in the neck is that the MOT is due whilst Andy is away and would rather not take it in with the coolant leak.

Awesome, well done Jon (and the car!). We both took a punt of our motors and having them both sail through the MOT's (mine did last year), validates our choices and proves we haven't bought lemons! So pleased for you, happy days :yahoo:

Thanks guys !

I am itching to have a go at the hoses myself but don't have the use of my friends garage anymore.

My garage is not big enough to get the car in and have any room to work.

Just have to bide my time and wait for Andy to get back from his hols.

He said he was going away in a camper van, I asked him 'camper than what ?'

18 minutes ago, The Voices said:

Thanks guys !

I am itching to have a go at the hoses myself but don't have the use of my friends garage anymore.

My garage is not big enough to get the car in and have any room to work.

Just have to bide my time and wait for Andy to get back from his hols.

He said he was going away in a camper van, I asked him 'camper than what ?'

Go on you can do it yourself, you don't need a garage it's not the middle of winter!

Getting soft in my old age.

I probably can fix it myself, but I am working by the roadside, my driveway is on a slope so not the most practical !

Used to enjoy a bit (or a lot) of 'spannering', but these days I can't really be bothered, lazy b**t**d that I am !

My current idea of working on the car would involve heating, lighting, background music and a ramp (and no deadline for when it has to be ready)

You've got a driveway, LUXURY!

Ha ha, only joking Jon, we've had this conversation before and I'm now lucky enough to have 6500ft2 hangar at work I can bring cars into to work on. Up to then I really was a roadside mechanic hoping I was lucky enough to get a parking space outside my house and packing away tools (or have someone watch them) if I need to go to the loo! 

I'm now trying to justify getting a 2 post lift, which is much cheaper than I thought and really would be LUXURY! :yes:

Parking space ?

You were lucky !

I used to have to work a 72 hour shift..................................................

A two post lift would be awesome !

You could recoup some of the cost by hiring it out to fellow enthusiasts !

Ha ha, I'd be happy to hire the lift to other enthusiasts Jon, but being I'm on the Isle of Wight, I'd expect the take up to be limited :wink:

Just a plan in embryo at the moment, but when I last had mine MOT'd, I noticed they had the big 4 post, taking up a lot of space, and the 2 post, which is basically just a couple of pillars when not in use. When I asked and checked, they were not badly priced, from £1K etc. The challenge is now trying to justify / think of a reason that a laser cutting business needs a car lift! I could then buy through the business then and claim the VAT back :thumbup:.

Ah, good thinking! If we lasered metal it would be an easier sell, but unless we're doing sump and diff guards in plastic or wood, it wouldn't really work, as this is the laser work we (currently) do :wink: