Jagnumpty

A Random Thought On Lighting

Daylight running lights Vs side lights.

I know that the former are compulsory in some countries and merely acceptable in others (eg. the UK).

I also know that the latter are pretty much compulsory universally.

But are they interchangeable?

Can I dispense with sidelights if I fit DLRs?

Hi Jan,

One of the things about lights is that the MOT can be quite severe on even minor changes.

My s type's lights were a little poor and I examined possible solutions.  Halfords fitted new bulbs with 20% stronger lights.  The 2007 s type does not have fog lights at the front which was the basic reason I had the lights updated.

The car then goes for its MOT  --   everything perfect EXCEPT for the lights on which it registered a failure.  Luckily, my mechanic who I have used for 16 years was present at the MOT and immediately corrected  the  lighting issue.

Moral of the story  - leave the lights to experts.

Regards,

Peter. 

Hi, Pete.

What did the tester give as the specific reason for the failure?

Hi Jan,

"Offside headlamp aim too low".

They had been perfect til I took the car to Halfords for two new bulbs.

Regards,

Peter.

In other words nothing to do with my question.

Fortunately I have enough LED strips to make them into one set of DLRs and one of sidelights or 2 individual units each side for one or the other.

I've been meaning to pop into one of the local testing stations and ask them, but I always forget why I want to talk to them when I'm passing 🤡

Dun't harf jabber, dun't ee?

Anyhoo: I checked with one of my local testing stations and it turns out that DLR and sidelights must be separate. This is to permit the DLR have a lower brightness when you turn on the sidelights after lighting up time.

3 hours ago, Jagnumpty said:

In other words nothing to do with my question.

The point I was making was simply that Lighting is something that the MOT testers taker seriously.

Hi

I converted my indicators to DRL/INDICATORS, for less than £20

if you search there a post on how to convert them and a short vid of the working

link  https://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/13570-fitted-led-drl-indicators-today-s-type/?tab=comments#comment-39313

clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvgvBbQDSM&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=JaguarOwnersClub&utm_medium=ForumLinks&utm_campaign=referrals

also these go through mot's with no issues for the past 3 years

cheers

Joe

• Like 1