Jason Richards

5cm of water in boot!

Hi - just wondering if any XF estate owners have had the same problem as me - water 5cm deep in the boot under the spare tyre. Unfortunately there are lots of electrics in there too and it has shorted a number of things, starting with battery messages then eco start stop not working. So all owners our there - it’s worth checking!! Going to cost me a fortune. Apparently it’s a seal on a vent failing!!!

Hi, I've just literally come indoors after emptying about 8/9 pints of water from my boot.. Xf 13 Reg, had a warning message come up yesterday with the message "battery not charging".. Looked on Google and the most obvious answer I was getting was the alternator... Took it to the local garage who checked the alternator and it was fine, went to the boot to check the batteries and that's when all the water was noticed. So I've come home, completely cleaned all the water out, going to see if the message still comes up over the next couple of days, if it does I'll take it back to the garage who'll probably look at the electrics that obviously got wet in the boot.. I'll be keen to follow your post with interest.. Good luck 

Known problem. Mine had it sorted by previous owner but cost over £1000 as electics were damaged. Now bone dry 🙂

Mine now has a little drain hole in the floor as a safety last line of defence (belt and braces) plus packed with water absorbing packs and a water detector (little battery device from ebay designed to detect water leaks behind washing machine etc). Call me Mr Obsessed. Entry point seems to be either rear light cluster seals or tailgate strut mountings.

Hope you caught it before the electrics were permenantly damaged.

Regards

John

I had a local garage take the rear left lamps off and put a plastic covering over the vent - took two goes to stop the water. Likewise had them drill a hole in the lowest point of the boot just in case. Definite design problem. Had a few problems with air suspension  until it dried out and got new sensors.  Alternator also made noise but luckily ok now.  Did have one other part replace but can’t recall what!  I now check it every month or so - just had a look now and it’s dry even though it’s rained non stop for weeks! Shame you are so far away or I’d recommend my garage! Only issue is that start stop isn’t working still and no idea why. Whole thing cost me about £1k!

Hi Jason

If you haven't already got one I would recommend  getting a Ctek maintainer https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/ct5-start-stop-uk

Usual reason for Stop / Start not working is battery charge state. A cigarette lighter voltage display (£5-6 off ebay) will give an idea of state. Remember as soon as you unlock the car all of the modules fire up and start using huge ammounts of current so my full battery at 12.8v will instatntly only show 12.6 on the display. If yours shows less than 12.2v as soon as it lights up battery charge is almost certainly too low for S/S to work.

Regards

John

Don't worry if it shows only 12.2v when the engine is running. It does that as part of the self-calibration routine. When mine is doing a calibration it drops to 12.2v under load but goes back up to 13+ on the over-run. When not calibrating mine is steady at around 14.8-14.9v. When calibrating it fully charges the battery then discharges it to 70% but never below12.2v to work out the battery capacity and state of health. It should then fully recharge.

Hope your battery survived its swimming lesson 🙂

John

There's a vent either side of the boot, these releases pressure inside the car when closing doors etc. The seals around them fail, you can either use sealent on them or replacements are only about £8 each. Remove the boot liners to gain access, although they are fitted from the outside (bumper off) you can fit them from inside!

Thanks Johnw777, I did get them replaced but water still came in though not as badly!  Bit poor of them to fail after 4 years! Oddly problem is only on one side - the one facing the rain when parked!