Jump to content


LEGALITY OF UPGRADING FROM HALOGEN TO HID or LED HEADLIGHTS. MOT TEST. ??????


Wrinkly
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jaguar Owners Club
This post was recognized by Jaguar Owners Club!

Wrinkly was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

I have been researching into the question, "Can vehicles (cars) still pass an MOT Test if their original Halogen Headlights have been upgraded to either HID or LED bulbs.

There seems to be an awful amount of opinion and conjecture on this subject.  BUT, as best as I can find in a legal stance, it appears to be that any originally fitted halogen lit headlamp car first registered after 1st of April 1986, would still fail an MOT. As per Special Notice 01:21headlampt conversion.

Below are links to :

GOV.UK MOT Special Notice 01:21, which attempts to clarify the situation.  

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

A long article by well known bulb supplier ABD , which seems a very comprehensive explanation of the situation.

https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/blog/the-brightest-car-light-bulbs/

 

Personally I am NOT (and would not) suggesting that they should not be fitted (as that is a right of choice for every individual). However I do have an opinion that the offence is not in using them (as this would be very difficult to establish direct evidence at the roadside) but that the problem will occur when an MOT Tester finds these type of bulbs (again depends on how strict the examination is ). One thing I am sure of however, is that being the owner/user of a Jaguar S Type, it is not going to be easy for an MOT examiner to identify what actual type of bulb is being used by sighting (direct evidence) the bulb without time consuming (due to not easy access) removal of the backing to the headlamp unit.

This submission does not take any account of matters such as dazzle to other road users etc., which of course is altogether another discussion.

This legality (or not), is in my opinion, up to each and every individual to make their own decision. I have just attempted to provide some information which can be read and digested before making your own decision.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to put my 2 pence worth in regarding dazzle of these super bright bulbs. I live quite close to two American Air bases which, unfortunately, do occasionally have there U.S. cars sent over here. When night driving past the bases there are a lot of on coming road users that, obviously, haven't had their head lights re aligned for right side driving. I know that they are instructed to have the lights done and many do, but there are still lots of their cars that haven't been dip left changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, Max Lloyd said:

I would like to put my 2 pence worth in regarding dazzle of these super bright bulbs. I live quite close to two American Air bases which, unfortunately, do occasionally have there U.S. cars sent over here. When night driving past the bases there are a lot of on coming road users that, obviously, haven't had their head lights re aligned for right side driving. I know that they are instructed to have the lights done and many do, but there are still lots of their cars that haven't been dip left changed.

Max

Very annoying and dangerous actions. Perhaps someone (maybe yourself) local to the American bases should report this ongoing occurrence to the authorities. I believe within the perimeters of the actual bases local authorities do not have powers to intervene, however once private vehicles from them bases come onto British roads they have to comply with the law. It may prove provident to inform the Traffic Division of Sussex Constabulary of these incidents and your concerns over safety on the roads at night. 

 

Best Wishes and Regards, John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wrinkly said:

Max

Very annoying and dangerous actions. Perhaps someone (maybe yourself) local to the American bases should report this ongoing occurrence to the authorities. I believe within the perimeters of the actual bases local authorities do not have powers to intervene, however once private vehicles from them bases come onto British roads they have to comply with the law. It may prove provident to inform the Traffic Division of Sussex Constabulary of these incidents and your concerns over safety on the roads at night. 

 

Best Wishes and Regards, John

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wrinkly said:

Max

Very annoying and dangerous actions. Perhaps someone (maybe yourself) local to the American bases should report this ongoing occurrence to the authorities. I believe within the perimeters of the actual bases local authorities do not have powers to intervene, however once private vehicles from them bases come onto British roads they have to comply with the law. It may prove provident to inform the Traffic Division of Sussex Constabulary of these incidents and your concerns over safety on the roads at night. 

 

Best Wishes and Regards, John

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I worked on base for 10 years and tried reporting to base police who, more or less, told me to do as you said. Eventually I tried to contact the base comander, just when there was a change of command. I'm going to try again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Max Lloyd said:

I worked on base for 10 years and tried reporting to base police who, more or less, told me to do as you said. Eventually I tried to contact the base comander, just when there was a change of command. I'm going to try again.

Max

Not surprised at the reaction of the base Police. They will not be interested as they have no jurisdiction outside of the base. You will only sytand any chance of action if it via Sussex Constabulary, who are responsible for the public highways beyond the base.

Best Wishes, John 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes John your right. 

I plan to raise the subject as soon as I can. Right now I'm up to my ears in too many other things my restoration work is progressing quite well but as soon as it's done that will be top of the list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Max Lloyd said:

Yes John your right. 

I plan to raise the subject as soon as I can. Right now I'm up to my ears in too many other things my restoration work is progressing quite well but as soon as it's done that will be top of the list.

Max

Hope your restoration work progresses well and that you then have success with the lighting complaint with Sussex Constabulary. Well done for taking it up.

Best Wishes, John

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...



Forums


News


Membership