New Owner - 2003, V8 S Type

Nightwing

Phoned up a couple of Kent based Jag places to see if they would install the Leaper for me. Both declined. So called a local mechanic and arranged for hi. To come over in Saturday morning to instal it.

I just don't trust myself. I made two holes in the box to stand it and see how it looks...but got one hole wrong!

We agreed a £20 charge and he will come to my place to install it. Can't wait.

So had to drive to Maidstone yesterday. 

You should have said, I could have met you somewhere :)

Phoned up a couple of Kent based Jag places

Which ones ?? Still trying to locate decent Jaguar places in Kent myself.

Just spent over an hour getting the leaper installed. Lovely local mobile mechanic chap. Came over and very carefully drilled the hikes and installed it. The drill bit was a massive one that I don't even have in my tool box. Having witnessed the process it was way out of my league anyway. We agreed £20 but I insisted he take £30 on account if the rain etc

He commented in how nice an example my car is. He also had a V6 S Type until last year.

The weather has been pretty atrocious here past 24 hours or. This is the best I could do. The car needs a good wash and I think I willl have to wait until this rainy few days passes to take a nice phots of the full car.

But so far, i quite like the leaper.

I actually also liked it without the leaper too.

I did have ambivilance about installing it.

Having installed it, I guess I have to get used to it.

I did not mind the cars appearance without the leaper.

People have been glancing more than usual. The glancing thing I can understand, I do the same when I see a car I like. I get it a lot with my other car.

Its nice to get it with this car. I think the leaper adds that to people giving it a second glance.

I did not do it with that intention.

I mainly loved the look on the Mark II and for me this car is the M2s direct successor.

So, recenetly I have been watching a lot of M2 clips on You Tube etc to make up my mind.

I dont know.

What do  you connoisseurs think?

Hi Amal,

The S Type is the direct descendent of the Mk 2 Jaguar, just slightly different in shape, with modern technology on both the mechanical and electrical side.  When Sir William Lyons, the founder of the Jaguar Marque designed the car he said "Grace.  Space and Pace".  The S type had all of those.

When I was a bit younger, and rode fast motorcycles, the mechanic who repaired my bikes restored a Mk 1Jaguar and I fell in love with it.  Fifty years later I bought its successor.

Only about 330k S type Jaguars were made and about 190k of them went for export, mostly to the USA, where they are still driven.

I fitted a leaper to my s type about two months ago after owning the car for over two years, and I do like it.  Even here, and I live 6 miles from where the car was built, it still gets heads turning, and quite a few remarks.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter your car is very nice in that colour it looks quite stunning. What are your cars spec? Do you have a photo with the leaper?

I am very pleased and happy with mind. Not quite perfect or unblemished but it's a moderately high mileage car so one can't expect a showroom finish, but it's clean and in hoof order internally and outside but for one, I a

Can only assume nasty stone chip on the roof, it's not too bad. I haven't hand washed it enough. I think you get yo know your car better this way. Time does not permit met gat luxury so much with two little ones age three and one.

The other half likes it too. So that's a bonus.

I had dome doubts and concerns given I paid more than I expected to a very nasty fellow. But the car seems like it will db a worthy lifer for me.

That's two life so far.

Hi Amal,

My car has the SE spec and also has a lot of optional extras, which were factory fitted, and include a proper spare wheel with a matching alloy wheel.  It also had a new engine fitted by Jaguar at 21k miles and while in Jaguar ownership, and has only done 64,800 miles now, which is nothing for a 2.7 diesel.

I use the three or four buck system of cleaning and only use microfibre cloths  --  a bucket of luke warm water, then a full rinse, then a shampoo using best quality autoglym shampoo,  a good rinse off the then drying off with a proper drying towel [Halfords - £8].  All it needs then is buffing with a microfibre cloth.

post-4237-0-65447900-1441117000_thumb.jp

Regards,

Peter.

Peter thank you for the details about your cars spec.

Love the photo of the leaper.

Your cleaning method is very educational...I follow a similar routine. My car is a mess due to the poor conditions on the roads due to the rain. Am biding my time until I can next wash it down.

Look in the settings at the route options, they may be set where motorway and tolls are to be avoided or quickest vs shortest routes are set.

I had a problem with my 2006 disc not having a major road junction on the A55 at the English/Welsh border updated.

Now I have a 2012 disc all is well.

I've not had anything bad happen route wise yet with my settings.

Well the 2012 SatNav disc is no better. Still always tells me the opposite direction of where I should be going, why?

Perhaps the GPS tracker in the car is faulty?

Is it worth having a dealer looking at it?

I think that one of the navigation set up options is 'calibrate' ?

This allows you to check that the navigation system has recognised the cars current location.

It uses the current location as a reference point for guidance so if the cars position is incorrect on screen, the instructions given by the guidance system will also be incorrect.

It is also worth checking that the route options are set to your preferences, if 'avoid major roads' is active you end up on a magical mystery tour !

• Like 1

Hi Amal

If you don't mind Slightly off topic, the mobile mechanic you used, have you used him before? If so what are your impressions? I note your in Kent, the Lancaster dealership you use, would that be Sidcup by chance? I'm trying to gauge the area that the mechanic may operate in, I'm not a million miles from Sidcup, so perhaps he may cover my

Apologies again for going off topic (Leaper looks good by the way!)

Regards

Steve

Dear Steve,

The mechanic I used installed the leaper and this week serviced my Landrover.

His careful methodological and patient professionalism impressed me to instructing him on my much unloved works horse, school runner Freelander.

He is very fair with his fees and he wrote me a very helpful long email with what he did on the car, what he found out about the car, any issues he notices that might need addressing now or later.

I personally liked all this as it is what I rarely come across from independent mechanics.

He is actually based in Crawley but operates in TWells.

I plan to have him look after my Freelander and general matter other than the dealer service) on the Jag.

I am happy to provide you with further details and could ask him if he will be able to help you.

He also owned a S Type until last year, complete coincidence.

Regards,

Amal

...oh and the Lancaster dealership is in Sidcup.

I never used them before as I have only had the car for just over a month.

But the car was purchased there and the service book has only their stamps. So I thought I'd get it checked out and serviced by them to geT they stamp in the book.