Latest retro-fit

Raistlin

Having been bitten by the bug of retro-fitting in my Rover 75 days, I have to say that the S Type is an ideal subject for such things, as I further confirmed today when 16 function memory, heated seats were fitted and the whole job, including the rear seats as well, took less than an hour, with no setting up and no wiring to do B)

Talk about plug and play :lol:

Powered rear window blind and headlamp wash are next on the list :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Not in my case peter. It's my understanding that they were only fitted with HID headlights to comply with the construction and use regulations regarding the control of dazzle which is associated with HID.

Do you have HID headlights?

Hi again Paul,

I have just found that headlamp washers are an optional extra on the s type at a cost of £250.

I also found that the total of optional extras can be very high,  I am going to add mine up and see what the car cost in March 2007.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Paul,

I'm still new to the S type so excuse my ignorance but what is this 16 function memory thingy? Also, are you referring installing heated rear seats?

I think I could easily get bitten by the bug too. I'm interested in retro-fitting: phone, voice and power wash lights, in that order. I have been following various previous posts on the subjects and I'm confused about the phone part, ok-ish about voice, and can't see too much of a problem with power wash lights (the latter is only included on the list because I can't stand those blanking plug things on the bumper that make it look cheap). I'd love to know how you get on with your projects so please keep posting.

Regards, Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I'm new to the S Type as well. Only had her for three months or so.

16 function seats are those with four separate buttons on the side of the seat. In addition to the conventional 8 functions you also get the ability to increase or reduce seat cushion length and raise and lower headrests and raise, lower, extend and retract lumbar support.

Not heated rear seats i'm afraid. They were never an option as far as I'm aware. I changed the rear seats because they were ever so slightly different shade to my originals, nothing more... except that I can get my skis (or golf clubs) through the little hatch now :lol:

I can (hopefully) advise you on the phone system etc, if it'll help :)

I think one of the main things which got me started so rapidly was the almost constant "can't be done" from certain armchair pundits on one or two other Jaguar fora. :ph34r:

Red rag to a bull I'm afraid. In fact that was the reason I decided to make my powerfolds extend and retract remotely with the lock and unlock signals from the remote fob. Again, not my original design and acknowlegement to John Wright for doing so :)

I have never known about heated rear seats, either.

Paul has done sone fantastic retro fits   --- saving thousands!

I like the folding mirrors controlled by the fob   ---   very interested!

Peter.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for quick response. I've had mine (53 plate SE with factory Satnav) for a month now and so far quite happy except for repeated message of "engine coolant low" and each time I check the reservoir its between min and max. I think its an air lock because it only happens at 60mph or more and then goes away in traffic. How do you make power fold work from remote?  I will be checking my seat to see if I have 8 or 16 functions.

Powerfold works from remote by using a couple of relays spliced into the wiring of the driver's door module Dennis.

The phone setup requires microphone, bluetooth unit and phone module, of which I have a microphne and bluetoth module spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Paul,

I'd love to retro fit memory seats, I'm guessing one has to buy complete seats from eBay or elsewhere and fit these, rather than just upgrading existing electrics?

What is likely to be possible / required on my 2001?

Thanks, Russ

I already had memory seats Russ. In fact they are still with the chap who sold me my new ones. They are 10 / 8way not heated in ivory leather.

There is actually a full set of 16 way heated seats and door cards on fleabay at the moment for £200 including delivery I think..

My seat upgrade was done as a plug and play swap with just one tine modification to the underseat wiring on the driver's seat.

I'm not sure whether the wiring is already in place in your car for memory seats although I suspect it would be. In addition you'd need the driver's door switch pack and, IIRC the driver's door module, although your present door module might be sufficient.

Further to my last, a little bit of research suggests that the driver's door harness doesn't differentiate between memory and non-memory so I'd be reasonably confident that there would be no wiring to complete. In addition, I can't find any reference to the DDM (driver's door module) being a different part number for memory or non-memory.

Based on that, I'd have to conclude that retro-fitting memory seats would be a reasonably simple task :) That is to say, "doable".

Before investing though, I'd need to do more in depth research.

Thanks Paul, this is a future modification I will definitely consider, it's not highest on the list for the moment though as I've only had the car a few weeks and I'm still getting the mechanics up to standard.