The quest for guidance

Raistlin

I've raised this point before but now it has become something of a quest for me.

That is, what can be done to assist in lining up your car centrally prior to entering a garage threshold of limited width?

I have laser markers within the garage so I always stop in the right place but, because the front wings of my car disappear from line of sight, I'm always nervous with regard to placing the car central to the garage entrance before the front wings get anywhere near the garage entrance itself.

So far, the best solution has been another laser marker, attached to the up and over door, giving accurate centre-line guidance. The only problem with that is the fact that these laser markers only last 24 hours on a battery and, because the marker moves with the door, I am unable to connect it to a permanent supply from a transformer as I do with the fixed laser marker inside the garage.

The detection range of these markers is such that I can't fit one within the garage as it doesn't detect the car and switch on until the front of the car is over the threshold.

I've tried using a ribbon hanging from the edge of the garage door but, of course, the slightest breeze blows it all over the place.

Any clever ideas gratefully received. :) Thank you.

Why not paint a vertical line on the rear wall of your garage so that it lines up with the center of your face, aim for the line and that should do it. You could also paint a line on the right hand wall so that when your car is in as far as you want , this line would be level with your face when you look at it.

hi

I'd just use a laser line, there plenty on eBay and there really cheap

mount it on your back wall, so it projects a red line down the middle of you garage floor and in the middle of your garage doors

it should project a good way out of your garage

you could put a limit switch on you garage door, so as soon as it opens, hit the switch  and brings you laser on

then all you have to do is line it up with the led in the middle of the front of your dash, the security flashing led, it bang middle of your dash

that should take you in, bang in the middle all the way

cheers

joe

Why not paint a vertical line on the rear wall of your garage so that it lines up with the center of your face, aim for the line and that should do it. You could also paint a line on the right hand wall so that when your car is in as far as you want , this line would be level with your face when you look at it.

Tried that idea Garry.

It's not accurate enough unfortunately, and it relies on your head and eyes being in precisely the same position each time. Thanks though

hi

what do you mean detection,

if it was on a limit switch it would come on as soon as the garage door is open

The laser markers I have detect the presence of the car some 2 metres ahead before they switch the laser beam on Joe

Hi Paul

Two things spring to mind, can you not use your head lights? To line up with markers on your garage wall? Secondly perhaps a laser on you dash even in your grille / registration plate? Or even a combo of all

Steve

Hi Paul,

I don't have the problem with getting into the garage as the car won't fit in owing to my daughter's record collection and umty seventy other things, but I have seen this system used in a steel warehouse that was fully automated and the bogies ran on rails.

While there was no problem with the bogies themselves there could and sometimes was, an issue with an overhanging load.  The side of the doors had several thin pliable plastic rods on either side of the doorway with sensors on that detected the overhang.

A similar principle could be applied by using thin pieces of cane - incense sticks spring to mind set at the correct height for you to see.  A blob of cotton wool could be attached at the end to stop any damage.  You would be able to see these to centre your car,

Regards,

Peter.

P.S.  I am not related to either Mr Heath or Mr Robinson.

hi

I bought some of these ages ago

i used 4 off these to make a 4 wheel alignment gauge for my mitsubishi

they might do the job and for the price you wont lose much anyway

they work off 2 AAA batteries but you could easily replace them with a power supply

have added some pics 2 off eBay

cheers

Joe

ScreenShot280.jpg

ScreenShot281.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Paul

Why not consider guide (or scuff) rails. Two rails bolted to the floor say 2" high so as not to damage your rims.

Similar to what HGV's use to get squarely onto loading bays.

Two round pipes with mounting plates would do the job nicely.

Regards

Martyn