Key Fob, being very silly, and annoying!

Claws

Hi All

When i got the car, there was a spare key fob, pretty new, with out a battery. i bought one and had A Jag dealer programme for me, worked fine for a couple of months. lately its not been unlocking / locking the car (using the remote buttons) yet will lock and alarm when used manually, the igintion recognises it, and starts fine. when i use the 'Old' fob which still works fine, it seems to give the 'New' fob a kick up the backside, and it works again.

Yesterday, the 'New' fob opened the car (Remotley) and started fine, got to where we were going. When coming back to the car it refused to open or operate anything (remotley) but did work when the key was inserted (Thankfully)

When i got home i fetched the 'Old' fob to make sure she was alarmed for the evening. On the way to work this morning, tried the 'New' fob again Nothing, Nada! i have replaced the battery, only two weeks ago, as it appeard that the battery had been discharged, while my keys were squashed / wedged in my bag.

Any ideas?

Regards

Steve

Some times, you just have to hold your hands up, and give credit were it's due!

Me and the better half were talking about the fob last night, she said "Dont you have to 'Thingy' it when you change the battery?"

Translation:  Thingy = 're-program' i believe she's right?

I have seen the instructions on how to, but can't see how you can physically re-program both at the same time, is there a short period you get to do this?

Hi Steve,

I am not an electrical expert but I do know that when I have Handbrake Fault coming up on the message centre I do have to disconnect the battery for a very short time to allow the ECU to reset.  This is usually done when it is raining and blowing a gale so I am very quick at doing it while SWMBO is telling me that we have to get rid of "This pile of Junk", which, when the car is running beautifully translates into "the best car we have ever had".

I think you might need an auto locksmith to reprogram, which is the exist option.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

"This pile of junk" ? You just 'gotta luv em'

I posted this a while ago for another member, for the X type, do you by chance know if it would be the same process for an S type?

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/12189-key-pairing-to-car/?do=findComment&comment=31193

Regards

Steve

3 hours ago, Claws said:

Some times, you just have to hold your hands up, and give credit were it's due!

Me and the better half were talking about the fob last night, she said "Dont you have to 'Thingy' it when you change the battery?"

Translation:  Thingy = 're-program' i believe she's right?

I have seen the instructions on how to, but can't see how you can physically re-program both at the same time, is there a short period you get to do this?

I changed the batteries in both of my fobs the other week and didn't have to re-programme them.

Neither will turn the front lights now though, but that's not a major problem.

Hi Steve,

You car is the 2.5 litre [is it?] - and so the engine will be the same as on the X Type 2.5 litre.

I would guess that if the key fobs look the same then the process would be.

As an aside, SWMBO said on the way back from Lichfield this morning, "Isn't the car running beautifully?"

Regards

Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Got to say, that made me laugh! Astrophysics or the Female? whats the more difficult to fathom out? (I think we know the answer!)

As to your question i have the 3.0 litre,

I have done some reading since i posted last message, and i'm getting mixed answers. The site in the link to previous post, (Bluejag) also has instructions on how to re-program the S type fob, yet as you look around the web, and other forums, some are quite adamant that its a Dealer or Auto-locksmith job.

The thing that concerns me more than anything, is if i have a go i don't want to mess up the working fob

That would be my concern, too, Steve.

Giving the wrong advice can do very funny things with electrics in modern cars.

Some years ago my sons mini wouldn't start although the battery was quite good.  Simple operation in those days, a good clout with a lump hammer was threatening enough.

Peter.

As far as I can tell the self programming info as per Bluejag is a complete red herring, myself and a couple of other forum contributors tried all their advice numerous times, to no avail. For myself, I bought an unprogrammed fob from eBay (£15) and had a new transponder key cut (£65) as mine is pre facelift and has a separate key and fob. A local independent programmed the new key for £20. I them used an eBay refurb service on the original key (£18), who changed out all the switches and replaced the battery, this key didn't need programming etc. They wouldn't change the case and buttons so I did this myself with a new case kit (£5). So I now have 2 fully programmed and good as new keys and fobs for c£120 all in, which I'm happy with...

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with my key....it turned out to be the micro-switches had failed in the fob itself. You can buy the repair kit on eBay for £6...easy job to do it your self, just need a good soldering iron and a steady hand.......or there are people around who will do it for you for around £20-£30

Hi Steve 

I had exactly the same problems like you with both my keys, in the end I used a company called Expresskeyfobs who refurbished both keys for £47. Then i did the following to sync them together : 

1. Insert key

2. Open drivers door

3. Turn key to position 1

4. Then to position 2 and back to 1 x 4 TIMES

5. Remove key and press the lock button.

6. If you have a second key press the lock button straight after also

Both keys should now work.

Prior to refurbishing the keys they worked (remote) intermittently, they would both start the car etc. the remote headlights wouldn't work. but after refurbish and then sync all ok. 

Hopefully this might help you.

Elvis.

• Like 1

Tony

I found a guy in St Helens and took it to him....it only took about 10 mins and the charge was £16...but not sure he is still there.

If you google it "Jaguar key fob repairs" there are a few places ...eg..http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-4-Button-Remote-Flip-Key-REPAIR-SERVICE-S-X-Type-XJ-XJR-XK8-/191724845628?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

You can also see how to do it yourself on youtube

Good luck

Elvis

I have seen those instructions, but have been advised they may not work, so being on the cautious side, I will just get an auto-locksmith out, my old fob is working fine at the moment, so not in any particular rush.

but appreciate trying to help

Steve

Hi ,

When I first got my jag both key fobs worked intermittently and was told it was a main dealer repair job but after a couple of months I decided to google the issue and found out that when I replaced the micro switches and the rubber pad the keys worked perfectly without the need to reprogram them. 

Hope this helps. 

Gary. 

Cheers Gary

Did you do the work yourself?

I have seen this comment a few times now, it clearly suggests that carrying out this refurb of micro switches etc, means losing battery power to the fob, does NOT mean reprogramming is required. I can't see how power can be maintained while changing switches, 

I wish I had the skill, and rock steady hands to do it myself.