Cheap, high mileage S-Type R, should I ?

The Voices

6 hours ago, Russ68 said:

Ha ha, I'd be happy to hire the lift to other enthusiasts Jon, but being I'm on the Isle of Wight, I'd expect the take up to be limited :wink:

Just a plan in embryo at the moment, but when I last had mine MOT'd, I noticed they had the big 4 post, taking up a lot of space, and the 2 post, which is basically just a couple of pillars when not in use. When I asked and checked, they were not badly priced, from £1K etc. The challenge is now trying to justify / think of a reason that a laser cutting business needs a car lift! I could then buy through the business then and claim the VAT back :thumbup:.

Hi, you don't need to justify buying a ramp through the business, the tax man doesn't go through invoices in detail.

If they did ask why just say it's to service the company vehicle.

5 hours ago, Russ68 said:

Ah, good thinking! If we lasered metal it would be an easier sell, but unless we're doing sump and diff guards in plastic or wood, it wouldn't really work, as this is the laser work we (currently) do :wink: 

Enviro friendly wooden guards for hippies (to put on their V8's) ?

Or

Lightweight plastic ones for racing !

Ha ha, I like your thinking! Although a plastic cover over the underside could actually be a good idea, potentially improving airflow and keeping crud off the precious bodywork, in a tough plastic like a HIPS or ABS. I may give this some thought! :yes:

Thanks all, including Simon whose comment is valid. The justification was as much to myself and my partner that I'm not spending company funds carelessly on my hobby. But if things continue to go well, I'll have one! What a luxury it wil be to work on cars indoors and on a ramp! Plus I want to completely Waxoyl all the cars, inc the Jag, and this will make life so much easier 😃

Ever have one of those days where you would have been better off shooting yourself in the face ?

Went outside to check the water level before nursing the car over to Bolton, first problem, flat battery !

When I get it started, usual catalogue of faults on the dashboard, no DSC, no cruise, parkbrake fault, etc.

I manage to get about 2 miles before the temperature is rising more than I would like (monitoring via the Torque app)

My suspicion is that the hose that had the minor leak has got much worse so not going to risk driving it.

On the motorway, so have to wait for recovery to Bolton !

Left the car with Andy and await his verdict !

Thanks guys.

Waiting to hear the verdict on Saturday.

I am happy to buy replacement hoses to sort as many potential future issues as possible but it is hard work getting correct part numbers, pictures and descriptions.

Even the parts system at work is confusing !

Andy has spoken to Sue this afternoon and all sounds to have gone well.

The culprit was the small throttle body hose which he has now replaced.

The two hoses that are under the supercharger still have the labels on at the throttle body end and Andy is confident that they have been replaced in the not too distant past.

Interestingly, people always mention the 'valley pipe' (singular) but as far as I can see, there are two coolant pipes that run down the 'V' of the engine block ?

He has also replaced the radiator top and bottom hoses with the new ones that I supplied plus replaced the thermostat as a precaution.

I have already fitted a new expansion tank cap.

Whilst  he had the car, he has also fitted the EBC 'yellowstuff' rear brake pads and the new fuel filter.

Throttle body has been cleaned as well.

Looking forward to collecting it on Wednesday and confirming that the problems have been sorted.

• Like 1

Hi Jon

Its the one that goes from the back of the thermo stat housing to the throttle body, that usually goes, named the valley pipe, early hoses were one piece and they ballooned right by the thermo stat housing, where the hose went from the large size of the stat and then reduced size, later hoses are in two pieces with a plastic adapter that changes the size of the pipe, later ones are much less prone to failing

also when you look at the part list, for hoses, there is a large number of hoses on the s-type r

In summer, I going to change my valley pipe and go to evans waterless coolant, I've used it in other cars and bikes and it very impressive , you get no pressure in the system what so ever, when the engine is running and the fan is on, you can just unscrew your expansion tank cap and nothing happens, as there is no pressure and you never need to change it again, well recomended, but its a not cheap on the STR as you need twice the amount of coolant as it holds quite a lot

cheers

Joe

7 hours ago, The Voices said:

Looking forward to collecting it on Wednesday and confirming that the problems have been sorted.

Once again Jon

Fingers crossed!

Steve

23 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi Jon

Its the one that goes from the back of the thermo stat housing to the throttle body, that usually goes, named the valley pipe, early hoses were one piece and they ballooned right by the thermo stat housing, where the hose went from the large size of the stat and then reduced size, later hoses are in two pieces with a plastic adapter that changes the size of the pipe, later ones are much less prone to failing

also when you look at the part list, for hoses, there is a large number of hoses on the s-type r

In summer, I going to change my valley pipe and go to evans waterless coolant, I've used it in other cars and bikes and it very impressive , you get no pressure in the system what so ever, when the engine is running and the fan is on, you can just unscrew your expansion tank cap and nothing happens, as there is no pressure and you never need to change it again, well recomended, but its a not cheap on the STR as you need twice the amount of coolant as it holds quite a lot

cheers

Joe

There is another pipe that runs on the other side of the 'V' as well it seems, both appear to have already been replaced on my car.

The waterless coolant is definitely worth considering.

Collected it this morning, everything seemed fine on the trip home.

Coolant temperature didn't go above 95 degrees.

Even got the chance to suprise a Porsche Panamera !

Andy said the thermostat was shot at anyway so it was worth replacing it.

I am using the 'Torque Lite' app on my tablet to monitor temperature through a cheap eBay ELM137 bluetooth module.

Now it is driveable again, I can have a look at what else needs doing.

No urgency but more of a wish list !

Some small 'smart' repairs needed, 2x car park dents, 4x alloy refurbs, slight scuffs on the leather to sort out and a general clean up.

Possibly consider the supercharger pulley upgrade, intake pipe mod, remap and K+N filter (just worried whether the poor old thing will take the strain !)

New front EBC yellowstuff pads to match the rear, LSD would be nice (apparently there is a reasonably priced Ford one that fits ?) 

Great, I'll try the Torque app, I bought the socket thing but couldn't get it to talk to my iPhone, so hopefully I'll have more luck with that one. For interest, is there much other diagnostics that comes up? Oil pressure and temp etc? If so I'd be tempted to get a have it connected almost permanently and certainly for the track day in December :yes:

Good to hear your back on the road with her, I think they call this a rolling restoration where she's being improved as you go along :wink: