Restricted performance when accelerating - intermittent (back again)

Coolcity

Hi Gary,

As I thought the DPF was part of the problem.  Luckily I had thought of the EGR valves as was said by the AA engineer .  I though that the cost would have been about £275, but my mechanic took my car and came up with a different answer which saved the EGR replacement.

His solution was to clean the whole exhaust and he had a mechanic friend who could do the work and de did for £180,  My s type is now as smooth as ever!

Regards, Peter. 

Yes, looking over the service record I realised that for the last few years the car had only done limited mileage, so obviously very unlikely to have done any long runs and definitely not regularly, so the question really answered itself at that point. Most likely ash build up rather than soot, which is why I prefer the flushing technique to get it cleaned out, and the procedure does come with a 12 month warranty.

As such it makes a lot more sense to get the whole thing done properly, and I'll know everything has been checked over and put right if needs be, which should mean no more related issues.

Price includes making sure the turbo is clean and clear and operating as it should, full DPF clean, check EGR valves and heater plugs, and fuel filter so I think that's not bad. It's worth it for the peace of mind alone and it's not as if it's something that's going to have to be done regularly. 

DPF removed and cleaned using by these guys -  Blocked DPF Cleaning Service, the UKs fastest & most effective - UK DPF - who as I mentioned happen to be just a mile away from me. Total cost was £189 + VAT (£!49 clean, £40 removal and refit) which, given that it restores the DPF to as good as new and is a guaranteed job, I'm more than happy with. 

Actual bill was higher as I had the car serviced as well as the last 3-4 services only seem to be oil/filter changes. Goes like a rocket now, and no errors whatsoever. 

• Like 2

• Coolcity changed the title to Restricted performance when accelerating - intermittent (resolved)
  • 1 month later...
Jaguar Owners Club
This post was recognized by Jaguar Owners Club!

Dan K was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 35 points.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, Dan K said:

My wife has a 2011 XK. We have only put 25000 miles on it when the restricted performance triangle came on. It has happened every 300 miles or so since then. It always happens when accelerating from a stop or slow moving 5 mph position. Only once did the car go 2000 miles before failing. I shut off the engine and wait 2 minutes. Car restarts and performs as normal until the next episode. probably 8 episodes in the last 4500 miles. I took it to local Jag dealer who replaced ECM (big bill) to no avail and then replaced throttle actuator {more bucks). When it continued to fail they said all the codes checked out and basically walked away from it. I took it to a local independent garage who checked wiring and air systems.  So I rook it to a jag dealer 120 miles away. I am impressed with their professionalism and diligence but it has been 2 months and still not fixed.  Has anyone had similar experience with failure at low speeds? 

Happy to report that the dealer got the problem fixed, Loose pins in connector to throttle. Car has been ok for 1000 miles. Impressed with the high quality if dealer service, They stuck with the problem until they were confident of the fix, Will get all future service work,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's good to know. In many cases I believe it's pointless paying main dealer prices as they're only following the information that comes up on the diagnostics and replacing parts - something any independent can do. 

Happy to say I've had no further issues since I had the DPF cleaned. 

• Like 1

• Coolcity changed the title to Restricted performance when accelerating - intermittent (back again)

I didn't post this (may have done elsewhere), but I got the DPF Full problem back a couple of months ago. The garage basically said I wasn't driving it fast enough and it was clogging up, I told them that was boleaux. For one thing I'd only done around 1200 miles since the full removal and clean, and it happened right at the end of a 120 mile motorway run and cleared after a 40 miles run- but came back on a couple of days later and an 80 mile run wouldn't clear it. 

Anyway it was cleaned out again, though the garage said it wasn't that bad (of course not!), but noticably it was smoother and I had more power this time. 

Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when it returned, again just a few miles from 120 mile motorway trip. What happened was that at around 65mph, the prat in the white van in front of me in the 3rd lane finally pulled over. After being stuck behind him for at least 10 minutes and as many miles. So before he had the chance to pull back out I booted it - and immediately got the Restricted Performance thing back again. 

So a couple of days later early in the morning I took it round the country lanes, put it in sport/race (dynamic) mode and hammered it for a good 90 minutes in manual, mostly in 2nd/3rd gear - and guess what, nothing I did could reproduce the problem. 

What the hell is going on? I boot it once on the motorway and get the RP warning, I drive it like a maniac for at least 90 minutes and it's as sweet as a nut. The only thing that I have learned from all this is that when it does happen, it seems to happen when I boot it from around 60-70mph, but not while driving at varying speeds, even flat out in low gear. 

Apart from this occasional glitch it seems perfectly fine. 

4 hours ago, Coolcity said:

I didn't post this (may have done elsewhere), but I got the DPF Full problem back a couple of months ago. The garage basically said I wasn't driving it fast enough and it was clogging up, I told them that was boleaux. For one thing I'd only done around 1200 miles since the full removal and clean, and it happened right at the end of a 120 mile motorway run and cleared after a 40 miles run- but came back on a couple of days later and an 80 mile run wouldn't clear it. 

Anyway it was cleaned out again, though the garage said it wasn't that bad (of course not!), but noticably it was smoother and I had more power this time. 

Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago when it returned, again just a few miles from 120 mile motorway trip. What happened was that at around 65mph, the prat in the white van in front of me in the 3rd lane finally pulled over. After being stuck behind him for at least 10 minutes and as many miles. So before he had the chance to pull back out I booted it - and immediately got the Restricted Performance thing back again. 

So a couple of days later early in the morning I took it round the country lanes, put it in sport/race (dynamic) mode and hammered it for a good 90 minutes in manual, mostly in 2nd/3rd gear - and guess what, nothing I did could reproduce the problem. 

What the hell is going on? I boot it once on the motorway and get the RP warning, I drive it like a maniac for at least 90 minutes and it's as sweet as a nut. The only thing that I have learned from all this is that when it does happen, it seems to happen when I boot it from around 60-70mph, but not while driving at varying speeds, even flat out in low gear. 

Apart from this occasional glitch it seems perfectly fine. 

Gary

Welcome to driving a Jaguar !!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Wishes and Regards, John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is weird. The saga continues. I continue to have the same problems, that being the car goes into RP mode sometimes when I go over 3000 or so rpm, however we have discovered that the DPF is filling up quickly, and even a forged regen won't drop the soot level below 20 grams. The fault codes only appear when it goes into RP, those being P22D2 - Turbocharger turbine inlet valve stuck open, and
P22CF - turbocharger turbine inlet valve control circuit Open. 

So it points to a stuck actuator on the 2nd turbo that is stuck open and blocking up the DPF, but here's the thing - I've now had the actuator replaced, but the problem is still there. I was advised that there was no fault found with the original actuator and that the turbo is clean and in good condition, with no Oil leaks anywhere. EGR, injectors, pipes, EVERYTHING possible has been checked and nobody can find anything wrong. Not sure where to go from here as we're completely stumped. DPF filling up and RP problem aside, the car drives beautifully. Diagnostic readings are not showing up any leaks, fuel isn't too rich or too lean, even the garage have no idea what to look for next. Anybody else had this - in particular, the DPF soot level not dropping below 20g even on a forced regen?