Jump to content


Checking sills


bertie1249
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just a quick question guys. I'm viewing a 2006 s type tomorrow which is supposedly in superb condition. I've just read some horror stories about completely rusty sills.

Could I ask whether all s types are prone to this including the facelifts 2006 model

and having little knowledge about cars how can I check for rust if the sills are covered with the plastic strip. Dealer is prepared to put the car on ramp for me.

i know to check the tyre well for signs of water and check for knocking on the wheels and to check all electrics including air con.

Im starting to worry now especially if this is a common problem with the sills. Should I even bother and avoid the model, as I have no garage and car will be parked on drive

Thanks all advice appreciated am I worrying too much?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My S-Type is a 2006 model and the sills were practically non existent. Ideally you would get the plastic covers off to make an accurate assessment of their condition Phil.

Even with the car on a ramp you won't be able to accurately assess them. Sometimes, if they are well gone, you can push the plastic cover in with your thumb and feel  / hear a sort of cracking noise as the rust underneath breaks up. If they are at that stage, walk away.

Other than that, the covers have to come off.

This is a very common problem with S-Type and X-Type.

I had no thought of getting rid of my car, even when the total cost of repairs became apparent. Depends how much you like S-Types I suppose ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Raistlin said:

My S-Type is a 2006 model and the sills were practically non existent. Ideally you would get the plastic covers off to make an accurate assessment of their condition Phil.

Even with the car on a ramp you won't be able to accurately assess them. Sometimes, if they are well gone, you can push the plastic cover in with your thumb and feel  / hear a sort of cracking noise as the rust underneath breaks up. If they are at that stage, walk away.

Other than that, the covers have to come off.

This is a very common problem with S-Type and X-Type.

I had no thought of getting rid of my car, even when the total cost of repairs became apparent. Depends how much you like S-Types I suppose ;)

Thanks Paul 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi

usually if you at the top of the sill, nearest to the rear, by the wheel arch, it will come unclipped there quite easily and you can look in, from what i've seen, when they go there worst at the back, also if you bang them with your hand, from the bottom, if it sounds like there's a load of loose stuff in there, then you need a closer look.

my car a 2004 S-type R, the sills still look like new, but when I purchased mine , the garage let me put it on the ramp and even gave me a screw driver so i removed some of the plastic clips and had a proper look, I liked the car and told him if the sills are good its mine.

as for the rear cross member as far as I know there no issues with 2002 onwards, it was pre face lift that had a different rear sub frame and was prone to rotting, these are quite hard to find now good second hand, like I say laters ones are better, don't rust  and second hand ones are plenty

take it for a good test drive as well, if its a auto make sure its all smooth, most common issue is lurching and surging in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-2,2-1, listen out for any knocking or bumping, there's a large amount of bushes on these that can fail, should be silky smooth

also every time you stop try the parking brake, these also can be a common fault, you get EPB fault,

check every thing works, especially all the electrics, check both remotes work

check inside the boot, some were prone with filling with water

check the headlights, its a common fault that headlight adjuster break inside the headlight, which usually means the beams are very low, sagging, auto adjuster wont work, give very poor lighting, they can be repaired, but very time consuming, HID headlights means headlight off and bumper off to replace bulbs and to repair adjuster inside.

service history will be a good indicator on the car, more the better, look at the tyre's, descent branded tyres on the rear are a must,

these are just a few, but check them sill's

cheers

Joe

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

Hi

usually if you at the top of the sill, nearest to the rear, by the wheel arch, it will come unclipped there quite easily and you can look in, from what i've seen, when they go there worst at the back, also if you bang them with your hand, from the bottom, if it sounds like there's a load of loose stuff in there, then you need a closer look.

my car a 2004 S-type R, the sills still look like new, but when I purchased mine , the garage let me put it on the ramp and even gave me a screw driver so i removed some of the plastic clips and had a proper look, I liked the car and told him if the sills are good its mine.

as for the rear cross member as far as I know there no issues with 2002 onwards, it was pre face lift that had a different rear sub frame and was prone to rotting, these are quite hard to find now good second hand, like I say laters ones are better, don't rust  and second hand ones are plenty

take it for a good test drive as well, if its a auto make sure its all smooth, most common issue is lurching and surging in the 1-2, 2-3, 3-2,2-1, listen out for any knocking or bumping, there's a large amount of bushes on these that can fail, should be silky smooth

also every time you stop try the parking brake, these also can be a common fault, you get EPB fault,

check every thing works, especially all the electrics, check both remotes work

check inside the boot, some were prone with filling with water

check the headlights, its a common fault that headlight adjuster break inside the headlight, which usually means the beams are very low, sagging, auto adjuster wont work, give very poor lighting, they can be repaired, but very time consuming, HID headlights means headlight off and bumper off to replace bulbs and to repair adjuster inside.

service history will be a good indicator on the car, more the better, look at the tyre's, descent branded tyres on the rear are a must,

these are just a few, but check them sill's

cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Andy the tyre man said:

That said, my 06 cars sills are like new. 

hi

Yes also my 2004 ones still look like new

I think a lot of it depends where it kept, damp garage will kill sills

and also sunroofs, when the outer seal leaks, there drains each side of the sunroof, that the pipes go down into the sills

I sprayed all inside the sills, inner sills, well Ive done the whole car now, with wurth cavity wax, which will hopefully prolong the cars life

cheers

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi

Only problem is the sills can be completely rotted out and you can't see a single thing with the cover on

what you get on the mot is, "cant' check sill's due to covers fitted" and "cant't check floors due to covers fitted"

on a mot they can't remove anything, the can only tap it or prod it with out excessive force, so sill's get missed.

pauls 2006 s-type, he was shocked when he checked his http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/13904-a-nasty-shock/#comment-41101

some others here

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/14389-jaguar-s-type-2003-rust/#comment-43523

http://www.jaguarownersclub.com/forums/topic/12503-sills-worse-case-scenario-cost/#comment-32763

if you have a android phone , go on google play store and look for " VEHICLE SMART " app with this you can check the vehicle milage and any previous mot advisory's

cheers

Joe

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

if you have a android phone , go on google play store and look for " VEHICLE SMART " app with this you can check the vehicle milage and any previous mot advisory's

cheers

Joe

 

Also works on iPhone. Excellent little app, and free as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Good link from Frank re MOT history, didn't know about that! It takes mine all the way back to 2006 where she failed on a pitted rear disc and a leaking power steering pipe! I've printed it out and added it to the history :xmas:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share





  • Join The Club

    Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

     

  • Topics

  • Our picks

    • Post in Event Ludlow Racecourse Shropshire 16th June 2024
      Not long now to Ludlow. It sold out before the event last year it is very popular.

      To book a ticket in advance go to EVENTBRITE or Message me. 

       

       
    • Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

      Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
        • Like
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

      Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
        • Like
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

      Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

      We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

      Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

      Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

      Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/


      TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

      Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

      Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

      Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

      The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

       

       


      Adult


      Child




      Participants – Early Bird*


      £14.00


      £7.50




      Participants – Standard & On The Day


      £16.00


      £8.00




      Visitors


      Normal admission applies.


      Normal admission applies







      *Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

      VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

      Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

      Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

      ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

      We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

      1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj
      3.  
       
      • 5 replies

×
×
  • Create New...



Forums


News


Membership