best thing you like about your x type

the mechanic

I'm not really bothered by the "shares 20% of parts with the mk3 Mondeo" thing, since if that makes these cars more affordable 2nd hand, good for me.

There are many things I like about my X-Type, especially the growl that starts at 2000rpm. And the AWD. And the wood (which is real wood unlike in so many other cars), especially on the steering wheel. And the styling of the rear end. And so on.

I've got a 9 year old 04 X Type 2.0d and it still looks like new when I meet people their forst comment is " oh you've come up in the world " and it's one of the cheapest cars I've owned and £140 a year road tax and I'm getting over 45 Mpg ...yep that what makes me smile

• 3 weeks later...

I love my x-type for a number of reasons! It's comfortable, quiet and stylish, with (real) wood, leather and suede. It drives beautifully, will pull away in 3rd gear from 700 rpm without hesitation, It is a Jaguar (AJ) engine - despite a lot of people thinking that it is a Mondeo engine! It is lovely quality all round and it's a Jaguar!! and British!! I've had and driven the German opposition, which are far too hard on suspension and seats etc.. Give me the Jag any day :-) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just bought a 2005 2.2D Sport. Best thing about it? Low rev grunt! It flies past pretty much anything and up any hill. I've owned some pretty serious cars in the past, Supra Turbo etc, but this is the best yet. Power, refinement, high speed cruising and quality spec coupled with 50mpg! And peoples expectation of the price of it is waaaayy over what it really is!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's the shape which is classic Jaguar lovely to look at

Still not sure about the XF which is a brilliant car but to me looks like an Insignia

I have the 2.2 Sport Premium which looks more meaty with the 18 inch wheels and as others have said it's got all the toys you need great mpg with tax and insurance more than manageable

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The purr of the 3litre V6, and the factory fitted sat nav that my last x type lacked. Brilliant cars I love them. The shape is stylish the XF is a fantastic car but has joined the line of sheep and begun to mingle in with the crowd.. The S Type and X Type kept that distinct Jag shape the lines flowing down the car, beautiful machines if you ask me!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I really wish I could find one thing I like about my 2.5 sport, but having owned it for a few weeks now, it is a complete disappointment. 65k, full Jag history and very well looked after, but it is not a patch on my Vectra 1.9 diesel, I traded for it, and I hated the Vectra.

Over the next couple of weeks it's getting a proper service and four wheel alignment, I'll see what it's like after that, but I suspect it will soon be up for sale.

Shame; my last Jag was back in 88, an XJRS and I regretted selling it the moment it drove away, but this X Type, doesn't do anything for me.

Russ

I love the bodywork gleaming in the sunshine, I like the way people look at the car as you drive by them . I love the beige leather interior, the way it drives is great and returns 45-50mpg on my daily one hour commute to work. Cannot wait to drive it home. 

• Like 1

I love the 2-2 engine with the 6 speed auto box great and you can put into Manuel Mode and move the lever without having to clutch and use some of the Revs in a great Engine. And it's always a pleasure getting into the car and driving off , never thought I would like an Auto Gearbox so much.

Regards

Tom

I've only owned my X Type for a couple of weeks - it's a 2005 Sport Premium 2.0D Estate - and I'm still getting used to it. I'm still getting used to the wonderful feeling of looking out of the window and seeing a Jaguar parked on my drive; I'm still getting used to the reaction from other people who see it and immediately fall in love with it; I'm still getting used to the lovely smell of the leather sport perforated seats and the fantastic way it drives and handles. I love the car to bits already, but do you know what I love the most? The fact that it isn't a BMW, an Audi or a Mercedes. Oh and I really love the courtesy extended by many other road users because Jaguar seems to have massive kudos just now - long may it continue.

As for the Mondeo jibes? Well I've not actually had any yet, but anyway, with super cheap parts prices courtesy of the 'Blue Oval', I reckon I'll have the last laugh on that score anyway!

You'll get loads of Mondeo quips. Give it time. Bear in mind though that only 20% of it is Mondeo based and 10% of that is modified! Rear suspension is from the Mondeo estate but the chassis was modded so that the suspension mounted differently to give the ride quality and handling 'feel'.

It may share certain components with Fords flagship but it most definitely isn't a Mondeo. It's as much a Mondeo as a Saab 93 is Vectra or an Audi A4 is a Skoda. Wouldn't call a Bugatti Veyron a VW Phaeton!

The majority of manufacturers share components between models and marques. It's the only way to continue to make a business. I see nothing wrong with it.

The only people who pass derogatory comments about it being a Mondeo in a dress are either ignorant, jealous, or your mates!

I love the bodywork gleaming in the sunshine, I like the way people look at the car as you drive by them . I love the beige leather interior, the way it drives is great and returns 45-50mpg on my daily one hour commute to work. Cannot wait to drive it home. 

Having just driven from Bristol to Chelmsford and back nearly 400 miles I feel as fresh as a daisy. The X type 2.2 Auto (last year of production) that I have had from new has got to be the best car on the road for its type and size. Beats any BMW or Audi A4 and although I have had this one from new I do not crave for any other. Maybe the new XE may make me spend and I nearly went for a new XF but decided I liked my existing one too much. My pal has the F type and that is something else but a bit too much for me I am afraid.

Welcome to the Club, Bob.

You have encapsulated in a short statement what many people like about Jaguars.

I hope you enjoy the Club as much as you enjoy your car.

Regards,

Peter.

Oh and after more than 10 years of driving 2 different X Types, it's reliability, acceleleration and black leather interior is really superb and basically the best, can there be anything wrong with the car.?

Why does it get any bad reports from newspaper ,magazine reporters or is it purely political ie tell everybody it is a mondeo in disguise and in the end people will believe you.

Always thought this type of reporter was a rubbish reporter and not worth much.

• 2 months later...

I love the colour (titanium mica grey) coupled with smokey grey leather interior. The sensation of gliding in absolute luxury. The pull of the 3.0 litre engine and the beautiful butterfly inducing engine note as you ask the horses to race.

The only thing I don't like is the antique stereo. But an easy change and the package is complete.

I fell in love with her on the test drive and will fawn over her for many years to come.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 2.2d 2006 now this is my second as the first was 2.5 v6 2001both been bought second hand and apart from minor little things that you would find in any car these days. I love them and am looking forward to many more years of Jaguar ownership to come. And after neerly buying a mondeo last time for economic reasons even though it was a titanium x it still was not a patch on the x type I did buy even though the mondeo had more gadgets. What's to love about JAG'S, EVERYTHING.

• 1 month later...

because it is an X-TYPE and i have just fixed it with this forums help thanks guys :D

Glad it is fixed, Peter.  I had an X type and I liked it very much.  Someone else also like it very much, too, and carjacked me, Scroat!

Jaguar Cars are real, good British cars, and we do it right in Birmingham!

Regards

Peter. 

I really love my X type I drove a few Jaguars in the 60's when I worked in a garage  I was a car mechanic then served my apprentice

and everything but latter I turned my skills to trucks etc .

My dream was to own a x type when they first came out but I was always too busy to think about cars .but I'm a old gent now so

I am now really happy to own one its so good to be able to go somewhere  cruising at a nice speed in comfort .

Frank

Cannot understand all the derogatory comments such as it's a " Mondeo in a fur coat" , not on here i might add .

I owned a Mondeo a few years back and it took me everywhere, and never let me down, which is more than can be said for the two BMW's and two Aston Martins i've owned !

ATB,

Trevor

The first cars of the X Type came under the ownership of the Ford Motor Company.  They discontinued the Mondeo Ghia, and actually badged the Mondeo as the Jaguar X type  It didn't sell.  The Jaguar design team and the Jaguar management pleased with Ford to let them design a real Jaguar, and use whatever Ford Parts that they needed.

And so the X Type was born. To the existing FWD engines a 2.5 V6 and a 3.0 litre V6 with All Wheel Drive. These sold very well in the USA. Then the Diesel Models were added.

A lot of parts designed for the Mondeo were used   ----   nothing wrong with that, as car manufacturers had been doing that for years.  Morgan used the Rover Engine, Rover used a Peugeot engine in its 218 and 418 models, and even Rolls Royce used a Buick 5.6 litre engine and latterly a BMW engine. The X type used a Mondeo Floor pan and the S type [mosty designed in Detroit] uses a Lincold floor pan.

The diesel engine used by JLR in the Freelander and in the S Type was designed as a joint venture between Ford and Peugeot, and is used in quite a few other 4x4 diesels.

A lot of the other bits, such as strengthening struts inside the bodywork of many cars and chassis strengtheners  are made by the same manufacturers in the West Midlands as are the forged parts, alternators, radiators and exhausts.

But the essential design of all Jaguar Cars is all Jaguar.  And the Company is righty proud.